Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista XML editor won't recognize xml files

• Please log in to reply

Brooksbane

Brooksbane

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

MSN messenger saves history files in xml format. Yesterday the files would not open, and instead were being associated with Dreamweaver. I deleted Dreamweaver, and now the files are being associated with MS Office Infopath 2007. I tried to use the "open with" box to reattach it to "XML editor" but it tells me there is no set association for it. I tried to set an association for the xml editor using the set associations option under the "default programs" in control panel, but again, no luck.

I also tried opening them with IE7 but that wouldn't work either.

It seems to me that whatever program was opening the XML files is not recognizing them anymore.

My questions are:

1. What program does Vista use to open the MSN live messenger history xml files?

2. How to I reassociate these files with that program so that they are openable again?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Brooksbane and welcome to geeks to go!

I apologize for the long wait and your overlooked thread. Dreamweaver took over the file association and when you got rid of the program, nothing was told to reassociate with it.

The following fix is for Help documents, but should also resolve your issue:
http://www.windows-n...nd-support.aspx

Regards,

Ax

Brooksbane

Brooksbane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Your advice worked perfectly!

Thank you!

Ax238