Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Must Have Apps For Your New PC

• Please log in to reply

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm not gonna cover anti-malware since I don't use it any.

Opera
One of the fastest web-browsers for Windows out there. Many configurable items, and you don't need to slow down your startup time with plugins because all the features all ready come with Opera. Not to mention it has even less of a user-base than FF, hence more 'secure'.

CCleaner
Like Cleanup! but has a registry cleaner.

Pidgin
Better than Trillian.

Foobar2000
Winamp stopped being good around 3.1. Foobar2000 is excellent for that "background music" you need when you're working on homework or playing a computer game. This is because the default GUI is extremely simple. Foobar2000 is intended to not function through the GUI, but through the hotkeys in which you program into it.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Not a good idea. :)

CCleaner

We don't like to freely recommend this program here. It can cause serious damage to a computer if people use it improperly. Best best is to use the free ATF Cleaner.

Winamp stopped being good around 3.1.

I have to disagree with that statement. I am using the newest version of Winamp, and absolutely love it. I have no trouble with it at all.

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Not a good idea. :)

CCleaner

We don't like to freely recommend this program here. It can cause serious damage to a computer if people use it improperly. Best best is to use the free ATF Cleaner.

Winamp stopped being good around 3.1.

I have to disagree with that statement. I am using the newest version of Winamp, and absolutely love it. I have no trouble with it at all.

1. The best anti-maleware is common sense
2. People should probably wise up then
3. Winamp 4+ are the Vista to the 2k

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

1. absolutely WRONG. I don't care how much common sense a person has, you can and will still get infected. Malware doesn't only come from clicking links or opening files anymore. Far from it. Innocent site... KIDS sites even at tiems.... can have malware that will install without you ever knowing it. The worst part, is that sometimes you won't know it even, b/c it hides itself so well, and doesn't always show you "symptoms".

2. Really. So you're saying every computer user should just "wise up" and magically know how to use a powerful tool that can seriously bork their registry? Not happening, I'm afraid. I've seen users come here who have badly screwed up their entire system b/c of using this program wrong. We do not, and will not, recommend it for general use here.

3. Matter of preference, I assure you. I don't use Vista. I use XP pro, and I love Winamp 5.5

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
The best anti-maleware is common sense<-- I disagree its bad breath that I find as a turn off

:)

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

1. absolutely WRONG. I don't care how much common sense a person has, you can and will still get infected. Malware doesn't only come from clicking links or opening files anymore. Far from it. Innocent site... KIDS sites even at tiems.... can have malware that will install without you ever knowing it. The worst part, is that sometimes you won't know it even, b/c it hides itself so well, and doesn't always show you "symptoms".

2. Really. So you're saying every computer user should just "wise up" and magically know how to use a powerful tool that can seriously bork their registry? Not happening, I'm afraid. I've seen users come here who have badly screwed up their entire system b/c of using this program wrong. We do not, and will not, recommend it for general use here.

3. Matter of preference, I assure you. I don't use Vista. I use XP pro, and I love Winamp 5.5

1. Right, nother bad has ever happened to my computer thus far. Even in my deepest depths of paranoia I scanned for viruses once.. Nothing came up. I have NEVER come across these such "self hidden installing" programs on sites. Maybe with IE... Because my web-browser ASKS before it downloads anything other than cookies, html files and images.
2. For CCleaner, click "analyze", then click "fix". Done.. Never had problems. Not to mention it prompts for .reg backups.
3. Winamp is fine if you spend more time looking at the music player than anything else. In my preference I tend to do more than one thing at once.