Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with getting rid of files!

• Please log in to reply

mythicalillusions

mythicalillusions

• Pip
  • 6 posts
;] Okay, So I am going to be selling my computer. But I need to find out a way to get RID of all the files i have downloaded and uploaded to my computer for good. But I do not wanna delete The sorta thing's that make the computer function, like the window's and Internet. but because I herd people can bring back up your information even after it's deleted got me worried. So can anyone help?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi mythicalillusions,

Do you have a restore disk that came with the computer?
What operating system?
What kind of computer is this?

The ideal would be to have either a restore disk or a full install disk to reinstall after a complete wipe of the hard drive using a program like DBAN. A three pass wipe and nothing short of an electron microscope will find anything on the hard drive. Reformat and install fresh.

If this is not an option you will have to manually remove all your files, clear all temporary files (especially temporary internet files) and defrag the disk. CCleaner will help with the clean up and eraser will overwrite the empty sectors of the disk with a secure wipe.