Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP fix with no install CD or Key

• Please log in to reply

khol999

khol999

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I was wondering what I can do to get my computer working again without the install CD or Reg key #. One day I rebooted the system and it went to a black screen and gave me error message and instructed me to install my "install CD". I looked everywhere for it and can't find it and don't know what I can do now. I also couldn't find my Reg. key # either. (probably with each other) What to do?

Thank you for your time,

Keith

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If this is Windows 98 as in your profile, the "CD" files it needs are probably in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder.
Your key should be stuck on the side/top/bottom/back of your computer case.

khol999

khol999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This system is Windows XP Media Edition. I don't know if that makes it different. I'm not by that computer right now, but if the key is on the computer base what do I do about getting the screen back to windows? Do I type C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder? I'm sorry I don't know much about this stuff.

Thank you,

Keith

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP Media Edition is/was only available in OEM format so the supply of a product key was mandatory and it would have also been mandatory to stick it on a non-removable part of the computer case if it was pre-installed on a branded computer (ie a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc).

Unfortunately most branded computers don't provide a proper Media Center CD so unless you can borrow one from a friend (but not their key), you're going to be a bit stuffed. The only available option then would be a new XP licence but this would wipe the machine anyway.

Edited by Neil Jones, 24 November 2007 - 02:26 PM.