Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Q6600 Motherboard compatibly

• Please log in to reply

87lsmc

87lsmc

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I bought a Q6600 motherboard package yesterday on sale. I was wondering if this processor is compatible with an ECS 570 SLIT-A?

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
ECS 570 SLIT-A: http://www.newegg.co...x...+570+SLIT-A
Under Specifications > Supported CPU > CPU Type it says "Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron D". So no, the Core 2 Quad Q6600 is not supported. Sorry.

If you can return the Q6600 you could get an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or E6700.
E6600: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115003
E6700: http://www.newegg.co...x...2&Tpk=e6700
I would recommend the Core 2 Duo E6750 but your board only has a FSB of 1066MHz and the E6750 requires a FSB of 1333MHz.

Or if you want to keep the Q6600 you could get a new board for $90: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059

87lsmc

87lsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks. The only reason I was wondering is because the motherboard that was packaged with the q6600 is an ECS 617T-M. It is listed as compatible with Core 2 Duo CPUs but not Quad cores. It has a FSB of 1066MHz also. I think I am going to go back to the store and get credit towards the correct Motherboard, or at least try.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The Q6600 has a FSB of 1066, and I'm wondering why were they packaged together if they don't work? I wouldn't be surprised if it did work... :)

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure that (if you want to get technical) the Core 2 Quad is a Core 2 Duo - twice! (Two duo chips on the one wafer, thus 2 x 2 = 4)

Edited by troy, 25 November 2007 - 06:51 AM.

87lsmc

87lsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Both boards have a FSB of 1066 but they are listed as compatible with Core 2 Duo not the Quad Core. I just don't want to look like to much of an idiot when I try to exchange the motherboard at the store.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Gee,

Someone sold you two pieces of hardware that isn't compatible? I wonder who the idiot is... Sure won't be you when you take it back to the shop. I think they might have a good old chuckle and then give you a board that does support the Quad Core.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Considering how Core 2 Duo came out before Core 2 Quad, perhaps the motherboard was made before Core 2 Quad, so they couldn't claim it supported it at the time. However, it more than likely will work, especially considering that the Quads are just two Duos mashed together. Why don't you try it out and then if it doesn't work, take it back to the store.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

especially considering that the Quads are just two Duos mashed together.

Well, the process is slightly more refined than this, of course :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

especially considering that the Quads are just two Duos mashed together.

Well, the process is slightly more refined than this, of course :)

Not really, remember the mathematical formula for creating a Quad?

(2 * Posted Image) + Posted Image = Posted Image

Edited by stettybet0, 25 November 2007 - 04:09 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
LMAO :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Just like the Pentium D and the Celeron, good times... good times.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh, so that's how it works :)

*troy reports stettybet0 to the people with the white-padded van... :)