Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just Wondering

• Please log in to reply

BiosNova

BiosNova

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, first post :)

I was just wondering, is it normal for a motherboard to arrive without any jumpers? I received a new motherboard a while back with no jumpers and wonderd if this is a mistake or they just didn't ship them with jumpers sometimes. Also, i plugged in a DVD audio wire where the motherboard manual told me, this was the wrong plug (on the motherboard, it was in the correct place in the drive), since smoke started coming out the back of my DVD drive, so i haven't put it back in (actually i don't think it does have a audio in plug for optical drives since i cant find one) and i was only following the orders of the manual, could this have damaged my board?

Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi BiosNova, welcome to Geeks to Go!

This sounds very interesting :)

Your motherboard should have come with everything that it needs. The only reason I can think that it may not, would be if you ordered an OEM version, which pretty much would give you the motherboard and that's it. The retail version comes with everything - driver cd, manual, data cables, etc... What jumpers are you referring to, in particular?

Your DVD drive... You should not need to plug in an audio wire, as the audio is now transferred along the IDE or SATA cable (depending on the model). Nonetheless, never work inside a computer with the power connected! It's possible that your motherboard has been damaged, or it's possible that the DVD drive is damaged, or both. (Or worse, something else got blown as well :) )

BiosNova

BiosNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I think the motherboard is ok since i am using that computer now. ah i see, i thought it was transferd using IDE now, wasnt it before?

The jumpers i am talkin about are the type you use to clear the CMOS and stuff like that.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some boards now are almost totally jumperless.
In any case it doesn't really matter because if you should everneed to clear the CMOS, you can use a screwdriver instead.
Which board did you buy?

BiosNova

BiosNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh i have an EVGA nforce 590 SLI

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Most motherboards made in the last 5 or so years don't have jumpers. Everything that used to be done with jumpers (CPU multiplier, etc.) can now be done within the BIOS, except usually for clearing the CMOS, which is done either with a button, or by removing the CMOS battery.

BiosNova

BiosNova

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ah ok, good thats been cleaned up. As for the DVD issue, they both work so im going to assume the only damage that was done was to the audio port and since i wont be needing or using it, thats fine :)

Thanks for your help guys!

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Usually even if you don't need them motherboards DO come with jumpers, I know this because mine came with 3 black, 2 blue, and 4 red ones. I don't know if this is the same for all manufacturers. Also I don't ever use the audio cable, whats it for?

Soorena

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Usually even if you don't need them motherboards DO come with jumpers, I know this because mine came with 3 black, 2 blue, and 4 red ones. I don't know if this is the same for all manufacturers. Also I don't ever use the audio cable, whats it for?

Soorena

The word "usually" infers that something occurs most of the time, or more than 50%. Calling an occurrence "usual" based on one instance isn't very good evidence. How do you not know that your motherboard isn't the only one in the world with jumpers?

Anyways, there are two reasons why it is very likely that his motherboard, like most modern ones, did not come with jumpers.

1. He said it didn't.
2. I have an EVGA 680i, and it also didn't come with jumpers. (Same manufacturer, similar chipset)

Edited by stettybet0, 26 November 2007 - 05:01 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I know this for a fact because all my friends and all the builds that I have made for them have had jumpers either on the mobo itself or separate with some screws.

Soorena