Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geeks Help needed

• Please log in to reply

dpends

dpends

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Computer is loading way to slow (3 - 4 minutes before the system is useable). The start-up menu has got to be the problem.
I have done a Complete Virus Scan (Norton 360); a complete (Spysweeper with Anti-virus) Scan; I have deleted what files I feel can be deleted here but the issue still persists.
MY Problem is I'm not a real geek-to-go and I need a geek-to-goes assistance.
TO: Take a look at my Start-Up menu and advise me what to erase.

System: Toshiba Laptop M40 1.6 ghz, 1 gigRam, 80 gig hdrive(43.2 gigs free), Win XP 2002 (Ser.Pack 2).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PS. A friend with a similar Computer, with similar software, running XP's system loads almost 3 times faster. He was dumbfounded at this ones tardiness.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This can be created by a few things.
When was the last time you cleaned out cookies and temp files?
Go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/ disk cleanup and run it.

What programs do you have in your start group? What starts when you turn it on? What programs are loaded down by the system clock? I am sure there are some that we can stop.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
yeah, 123Runner,
Spysweeper alone is a little resource hog.
I'll bet on it. Then add the anti-virus.

dpends-
Is Norton 360 an online scanner or is it on the computer also?
You should only have one anti-virus program installed.
Or they will usually cause problems.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Appreciate your replies. Looked into the Temp files situation, and while there were some temp files they were from todays times on the web (I will clear them out).
Norton 360 is on the Machine as opposed to being an on-line situation. Webroot Spysweeper with Anti-virus is a relatively new load (Nov.ll,2007). The purpose of the program was only to have Spysweeper (not the anti-virus) ... they were on the disk. It appears that the anti-virus is there but ...
Well but 1) is that this problem has existed for a goodly period of time ie prior to the Spyweeper antivus being loaded. Now I am willing to uninstall IT realizing that the 2 (Norton and SpysweeperAnti-Virus) both being installed is NOT a good idea. It (spysweeper) says IT has caught 2 viruses(Troj/AgentGAU and GDE as well as Mal/Generic-s Packer and Toot Kit-A. ... ??????
Norton has done a full sweep within the week. There was a virus and Symantec removed it 2 weeks ago. (I trust geeks more than them but that is a different issue).

I just do not know where to look for Start-up stuff and what to eleminate. When I look at Windows task manager there seem to be a lot of things happening.
Wordy but hopefully helpful. (PS Spysweeper is NOT running at startup)
Thank you

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
start/run and type in msconfig then enter. Go to the startup tab and look at what is checked. All of those are starting when the computer starts.

Look at each one and uncheck those that you know you do not need to be in the auto startup.
Such things would be adobe speed reader/ messenger service/Aim/ a zip program/ etc. This would be items that you can start from the program group or desktop icon.

Be careful and I would only do a few at a time. After a reboot there will be something about "selective startup". That is ok. Check check to not see it again.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Will do as well as a re-start and get back here in a few minutes with results on restart.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Restart time was 3minutes 25 seconds. (That was the 2nd restart after clearing the screen).
The ms config-startup tab listed the following: tfswcntrl, ccapp, AGRSMMSG, NVCpl, toscdspd,(toshba cd/disk speed control), ctfmon, RAMASST, and reader_sl..(WHICH IS NOW UNCHECKED).

Thanks

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
With apologies I should probably have provided the following info:
Start up.......................... 0
Win XP Logo ................... :11 sec.
Black Screen .................. :30 sec.
Welcome Screen ............. 1:45
Windows Screen ............. 2:15
(Loading Programs)
Loaded (Notebook starts) 3:25
Thus total load time is 3minutes and 25 seconds.

Hope this helps

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Back again.
Should the computer not load faster than this. (Spysweeper was taken off the system, at least for the moment, to do away with the possible problem of two anti-virus progams being on the computer).

Are the load times "normal"?
3 minutes plus seems an awfully long period of time for the computer to "load". (...that too is the opinion of all my non-geek friends, who have no idea how to fix the problem either, but their computers start much faster).
If programs can be removed from the computer start-up routine HELP would be appreciated in where I can find them and which can be removed.

With thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dpends...

Having Norton AV on the system is likely a big part of it. It's not just a resource hog, it's a slow loader, too. To see how much of the problem it might be, stop it from starting with Windows (should be in the Norton Options) and boot it up a couple times. Be sure to disconnect from the internet when you do this. This should show if Norton is a part of the problem...or not.

You might also clear the Prefetch folder. Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". Click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press the Delete key...close the prefetch folder. It may take up to four boots to completely repopulate this folder with fresh files and load times will be slightly longer until it is. Keep that in mind when booting without Norton as suggested above.

wannabe1