Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redirected from Malware forum

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
BHO List:
http://senduit.com/077087

Analysis screenshots of anything not white:
http://senduit.com/fd7320
http://senduit.com/d6e6f1
http://senduit.com/279b50
http://senduit.com/ad0c88
http://senduit.com/0658ba

Also I do not see a reset button there, only Restore Defaults; is that the equivalent or what you're talking about? (to be sure[I use IE way less than FireFox fyi])

EDIT:
Also, on a complete side note, should I upgrade my BIOS at all? I'm getting advice from a couple friends to do that

EDIT2:

Random info, I looked in the ActiveX folder with HiJackFree and it has deskpan.dll and fde.dll highlighted red.
Anything worth worrying about?

EDIT3:
In the device manager under Disk Drives, all I see is
"HDS728080PLAT20"
Do you want me to right click that and select uninstall?

Edited by Oniketsoku, 29 November 2007 - 05:50 PM.

Advertisements

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Relax. focus. Do not update the BIOS!
Snag (save) a download for the chipset @ this link
http://www.biostar-u...?model=P4M80-M4

Execute the download to update the chipset drivers. The focus of this effort involves the ATA/ATAPI controller (not the HDD)
This is Step 2 in another post. It should be automated & painless. Step 1 sometimes knots things up a bit.

I would put this before cleaning Windows & IE.

Also, on a complete side note, should I upgrade my BIOS at all? I'm getting advice from a couple friends to do that

EDIT3:
In the device manager under Disk Drives, all I see is
"HDS728080PLAT20"
Do you want me to right click that and select uninstall?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
You can't go wrong removing the red entries. A-Squared is now maintaining a 'signature' list of nearly a million known 'baddies.' If it's red, it's on the list. I trust them enough to pay for their anti-spyware every year. Never had a problem removing a red entry.

Stay the course on the drivers, but forget about the BIOS. That should be done only when there is no other alternative. Any goofyness there completely scranches the whole machine, not just Windows.

Edited by 1101doc, 29 November 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I've removed the red entries but I'm still entirely sure how you want me to go about the driver business.

Which ones am I uninstalling and how?(By right clicking the selected ones in the device manager?)

The "HDS728080PLAT20" one?
Or the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers?

Sorry for my confusion but I've never dealt with this type of problem before and don't wanna mess anything up :)

Edited by Oniketsoku, 29 November 2007 - 08:32 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to downlod Chipset and IO drivers. I understand that you do not use Raid array but since the IO drivers relate to HD environment, please download and install them.

Do not uninstall anything except for the IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers. Just download the BIOSTAR drivers and reinstall them.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
(( Sorry for the lack of a response, my internet died last night, just got it back running ))

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
During the chipset installation it says:

You can select several or all components to install:

VIA Machine INF 2.90A
VIA PATA IDE Driver Package V1.70A [already checked]
VIA SATA IDE Driver Package V2.10A

I am going to check the bottom two and install them now.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I just tried installing
"VIA V-RAID Software Package V5.50B,"
and it came up with the error message:

"Sorry, the install wizard can't find the supported hardware in your system. You should check your hardware and try again. Please press OK to terminate the install wizard."

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Leave the VIA-Raid out but install all the items in chipset part.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I installed everything a few hours ago, again, but notice very little to no difference, unfortunately

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Now go back to Device Manager and check the DMA settings again, OK?

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Now go back to Device Manager and check the DMA settings again, OK?

It may be time to do something radical - as in spend some money. Buy a new HD: use the manufacture's installation software to copy the entire old drive to the new drive; reverse master/slave relation when instructed; remove old drive when permitted; keep drives separate for the short term. If the software was pre-loaded on the computer, there may be 2 partitions on the old HD.

The reversal is important. I cannot prove this, but anti-piracy agreements causes modification to the boot code. The duplication is reflected in a changed boot.ini and it will been seen as part of the start up screen. Then solo boot with each drive, always choosing the default. I use solo boot to describe booting with only 1 HD. This proves that both drives have retained the capability to function as a boot drive.

Run with the new drive. Check out Device Manager again for the DMA settings. Report if things changed for the better or not.

If the slowness persists, then it is time to do a fresh install of Windows on the new HD. Evaluate the results. As a minimum, firewall and anti-virsus protection is needed. Don't over do it.

If the slowness still persists, then hardware is more suspect. Memory tests are an easy first step. Actually, if not already done, run them now. I have used memtest86 for this.

If the slowness disappears -- good luck! You are back to check for application problems or malware problems. You can add back things, slowly. Otherwise you can repeat the duplication of the original and attack the whole knotted mess.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Today, it is unbearably 5x slower than the normal slow.
I don't think I can quite resort to buying new hardware right now.
(Thanks for typing all that though)

Also the DMA settings are the same as they were before.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 02 December 2007 - 12:45 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Well, I think at this point you should run the .vbs script from the first link I provided. http://winhlp.com/node/10 Click the word "here" in #1 under Quick Solution. Just 'Open' or 'Run' the script. Answer in the affirmative to all confirmation dialogs.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hmm..Im not sure what to do with that link

When I select "Click here" ; direction #1 ; it brings me to a bunch of text that looks like a wordpad document.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 02 December 2007 - 12:41 PM.