Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking help

• Please log in to reply

RufusC

RufusC

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I am posting under this section, because I do not know what is wrong with my computer and as such I cannot categorize the problem under any other section.

My computer is on strike, again. It used to throw such errors in my face atleast at five different occasions, but it then started up and things returned to normal, which seems not to be the case now.

Anyway, here is the problem, when I turn my PC on I get "CMOS checksum error", screen nr 1. Then, if I choose to continue it hits me with a "nVidia boot agent" line and then does nothing, shown on screen nr 2. (note, the last three lines about disk boot failure do not appear now.

When using safe mode it runs through some lines and then locks up.

A third/fourth possibility is that it either loads up the widows screen and locks up or passes that and just gives me a black screen.

These errors appear just out of the blue, I turn off my PC and then the next morning it happens.

So please help me, I have no idea what's going on and how to fix it not impressed sad smilie

Screens

http://www.fileshack...le=DSC00124.JPG

http://www.fileshack...le=DSC00254.JPG

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

1: When you try to boot in Safe Mode, at what line/file does it stop at?

2: Try booting into BIOS and use the "Default BIOS" option. Did that help?

3: Good chance your CMOS battery is dead or almost dead thus the Checksum error. Try changing it out. Don't forgat to boot into BIOS after and reset your clock, boot options and auto-detect your hdd's.

Murray

RufusC

RufusC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the reply, loading default BIOS settings did not help.

Here is where the Safe mode loading stops

http://www.fileshack...le=DSC00257.JPG

I will see to changing the battery if the safe mode doesn't give any hints.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Ouch.. try the CMOS battery but, I am afraid you are going to end up re-installing Windows completely.

I have yet to find a fix for a mup.sys stall/error.

Murray

RufusC

RufusC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Changed the batttery and the problem remains. So I guess I am stuck with reinstallation and the recovery option and hope to save the information I have on the HD.

Thank you for the help, if you have a sure way to save info then I wouldn't mind getting a hint :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You could try using your XP cd and running the "Repair" option.

You can also slave your hdd to another system, copy your docs over to that system and then re-install XP.

Murray