Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which guild wars to get?

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I've never played any of the Guild Wars games (or any other MMORPG), but I've long admired from afar. I'm now thinking of finally getting one, but I don't know which to get. There are three stand-alone games, Guild Wars, Factions, and Nightfall, yeah? And then an add-on, Eye of the North, which required one of the other games to be used, if I understand correctly.
So I'm wondering which one I should get? I'm surprised there aren't more two- or three- or four-in-one packs, I think you can get a pack that includes The original game plus the new Eye of the North expansion, but other than that all games have to be bought separately, yeah? And what about the collector's editions, what do they contain over and above the non-collector editions?
If the games are all stand-alone, does the second contain all the stuff from the first game plus more, and the third contain all the stuff from the first two plus more? Obviously alot of people are going to be thinking Guild Wars + Eye of the North, since it's the newest, but will that have more or less RPG content than Factions or Nightfall?
For me the primary concern is the game elements; the widest selection of character classes, spells, skills and equipment etc.

So, that's a bunch of questions. Help me out where you can, please :)

And if you really feel strongly that there is another MMORPG out there that is better then you can recommend it, but I'm not interested in anything with subscription fees, or anything that's archaic or a simple little freeware text game.

Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Guild Wars Prophecies or Prophecies, initially known simply as Guild Wars, is the first released campaign of Guild Wars.

Guild Wars Factions is the second campaign of Guild Wars, released on April 28, 2006 in North America. It is set in the Eastern-styled world of Cantha.

Guild Wars Nightfall is the third campaign of Guild Wars, released on October 27, 2006. It is set in the African-themed continent of Elona.

Guild Wars: Eye of the North is the fourth purchasable installment in the original Guild Wars game. It is intended to tie the Guild Wars storyline with that of Guild Wars 2. Instead of using a campaign format used by Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Nightfall, Eye of the North is a traditional expansion on any of the existing campaigns, rather than a standalone game. Players cannot create characters based on the expansion (there are no tutorial areas), and there are no additional professions. Eye of the North was released on August 31st, 2007.

So you need to have one of the first 3 in order to play Eye of the North. Personally I would choose the original and work my way forward.

There is a great deal of good info found on their wiki: http://wiki.guildwar.../wiki/Main_Page