Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Final Build

• Please log in to reply

thren

thren

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
About a month of research, reading around here and other places, here is my final computer build
If you see any issues post them, also any problems with compatiblity
The new processers are to far away :)
Thanks much

NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 512-P3-N802-A3 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

Microsoft Office Word Home and Student 2007 - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0 - Retail

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail

ZALMAN ZM-F1 80mm Case Fan - Retail

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need the thermal paste or the CPU cooler if you buy a retail processor. Retail processors come with them.

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was under the impression that if you wanted to OC at all intel's stock heatsinks were below par

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Though perhaps the OP plans on overclocking so he/she needs a higher performing CPU cooler? Though if you aren't planning on overclocking, the stock cooler will be fine.

Also, you shouldn't buy Spy Sweeper, as Vista comes with Windows Defender, which is a very competent anti-spyware program.

Edit: Beat me posting by a few seconds, thren. :)

Edited by stettybet0, 25 November 2007 - 05:10 PM.

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Though perhaps the OP plans on overclocking so he/she needs a higher performing CPU cooler? Though if you aren't planning on overclocking, the stock cooler will be fine.

Also, you shouldn't buy Spy Sweeper, as Vista comes with Windows Defender, which is a very competent anti-spyware program.

Edit: Beat me posting by a few seconds, thren. :)

:)
Windows Defender is as good as Spy Sweeper? i'm on a vista laptop now with Spy Sweeper and (i assume) Windows Defender, but have never seen Defender block anything, find anything, or ever even update.

My main worry with these pieces is my graphics card compatibility with my motherboard and my PSU

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I don't know about you, but my Windows Defender updates daily or one every 2 days. It does it via Windows Update, so if you don't have it set to automatically update, it won't update.

I've never heard of Spy Sweeper, but if you really want an additional anti-spyware, why not go with something free like Spybot S+D? That, along with Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard, is what I use on my non-Vista computers.

As for compatibility, you are set.

One recommendation to save you some $:

Instead of the memory you are planning on getting, get two of these. It has tighter timings (4-4-4-12), so it will be just about as fast in real-life situations as the 1000mhz memory with 5-5-5-18 timings (and I have OCed it to 900mhz without loosening timings; if you do this it will be faster than the 1000mhz memory with 5-5-5-18 timings). Also, it would fill all your memory slots, but since 32-bit OSes can only see and utilize ~3-3.5GB of RAM anyways, there is no reason to spend the extra money to leave slots available to upgrade, unless you are planning to upgrade to 64-bit soon. If that's the case, you should probably buy the retail version of Vista, since it comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs.

Sorry if that's a lot. :)

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Great thanks,
Quick few questions, Can you assemble your Motherboard and put it in the case with the cpu/heatsink outside of the case
I've been running from 64 bit vista because of driver compatiblity, does it work with Nivinda drivers?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yes, 64-bit works fine with NVIDIA drivers. I can say that from personal experience. (I'm typing this right now on Vista Ultimate x64 with a Geforce 6600... upgrading soon. :))

Most 64-bit driver issues have long since been resolved, so I really wouldn't worry about that unless you have some old, exotic, no-longer-supported piece of hardware you plan on using.

As for putting the CPU and cooler on the motherboard outside the case, yes you can. Just keep the back of the motherboard in its protective plastic case while you do it. :)

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Without a removeable motherboard tray? i forgot to say that
thanks for all your help

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yep, the instructions I gave were assuming there was no removable motherboard tray. If there was one, you'd attach the motherboard to it, instead of keeping the motherboard in the protective plastic case.

The only thing you need to worry is if you have a large CPU cooler (which you do; the Zalman is a monster), it may make it difficult to screw the motherboard onto its tray, depending to the confines of your case. If you think this may be a problem, just put the CPU and cooler on after you put the motherboard in the case. Why don't you want to put the motherboard in the case first anyways? Sure, it might be a little cramped, but that's about the only con I can think of, and you save yourself from troubles like these later on.

Advertisements

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Not sure, most poeple told me that it was easy to put your CPU cooler outside of the case. I'll proably deceide when i get all the parts and see everything

First time that i'm screwing with computer parts, hope i don't blow up anything

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well it is easier to put the CPU cooler on outside of the case, but then it is harder to put the mobo in the case. So, it's a win-lose situation; either way you get an advantage and a disadvantage.

Also, about blowing things up, as long as you don't stick a screwdriver into your power supply while its on, nothing is blowing up. :)

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Does my PSU have enough 12v rails to do two of the new 8800 GTS in SLI. Or just two 8800 gts in SLI

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
A 8800gts currently requires a 12V rating of 26A. While I cannot find how many amps it requires to run 2 in SLI, it is usually about 2A-4A more, so 28-30A. The new 8800gts cards will actually require less power than the currently available 8800gts cards, so it will probably take about 26-28A to run two in SLI.

Your awesome PSU has a whopping 12V rating of 60A. :)

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
what does the rail plug into? what connects the cards to the PSU
Is 1 rail enough? that was my concern