Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Final Build

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
While I'm not sure exactly what a rail is, I know it is inside the PSU and it stays there. It doesn't plug in to anything. The number of rails doesn't matter; the total amperage of those rails is what matters.

As far as connections from the PSU, for 2 8800gts cards (new or old) you need 2 PCI-E connectors on your PSU. Your PSU comes with four! :)

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

While I'm not sure exactly what a rail is, I know it is inside the PSU and it stays there. It doesn't plug in to anything. The number of rails doesn't matter; the total amperage of those rails is what matters.

As far as connections from the PSU, for 2 8800gts cards (new or old) you need 2 PCI-E connectors on your PSU. Your PSU comes with four! :)

Actually the rails are the cables that connect to your video card or other devices. A rail is the actual (wires) or rail that connects to a video card or other peripherals like harddrives, cdroms, fans etc.. They do plug into devices because the rails are the wires.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Actually the rails are the cables that connect to your video card or other devices. A rail is the actual (wires) or rail that connects to a video card or other peripherals like harddrives, cdroms, fans etc.. They do plug into devices because the rails are the wires.

I don't think that's true. His PSU has only one 12V rail (at 60A), but advertises support for quad-SLI, as it has 4 PCI-E wires.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Rails are neither wires OR actual rails. A rail is a dedicated circuit to provide regulated power out of the power supply. There are generally 3 rails...a 3.3v, a 5v, and one or more 12v rails. All of the wires coming out of the PSU will originate on one or more of these rails.

More on Rails

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
So it would to be safe to say that my previous statement,

is fairly accurate. :)

As well as my statement that your PSU will be able to run two g92 8800gts cards in SLI quite capably.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The higher the rail the better the quality of the PSU is and the more load you can put on it while you still need a descent wattage high rails help support higher end graphics.

Soorena

PS: By the way wannabe I was wondering if you got my PM about my sig because its not appearing in my sent folder, if not then I'll just send it again.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
haha I guess I explained it totally wrong. You called me out on that one.

The wires do originate back to the so called transformer but I have herd from guys calling the actual wires the rails.. LOL

The explanation is very detailed/in depth.

I know psu's have a 3.3, 5 and 12v rails and that the pc power and cooling psu's have 1 single rail which is actually better than having multiple 12v rails like 12v1, 12v2, 12v3,12v4 like some psu's have.

I've had no sleep in like 2 days leave me alone haha.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

I've had no sleep in like 2 days leave me alone haha.

You should try writing an Essay for 13 hours straight, that'll really tire you out. Lol.

Soorena

thren

thren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a ton everyone