Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM Reading vs. DVD reading by Windows

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Not at all sure if I'm in the right place, but here's the deal. A friend of mine recorded music from Satellite(Galaxy) onto a DVD-R using a stand alone VCR/DVD recorder and asked me if I could put the sound track on a CD-R. Well I slapped his DVD-R into my disc drive, but Windows gives a property of it being a blank disc.

I then put it in my DVD Player which is attached to the Television, and it reads it then stops, obviously can't find the soundtrack.

Now the answer to this question may indeed give me an insight as to how PC's work. The question is this, is this due to the fact that windows reads a code on the disc which indicates it to be a DVD and is looking for a Video file, not an Audio File and it reads blank as it can find any Video file?

Nero can't find anything on the disc either.

Your comments on this would be appreciated as my friend told me he can play the disc back with the sound track on the original machine that made the recording, his VCR/DVD Stand alone unit., but wants the sound track on a CD-R so he can play it in his vehicle.

Ive tried everything I have WMP, VLC, 321 Media Player Classic, Winamp, nothing can find a sound track on that disc.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I think the recorder actually recorded in a unique format, only known to the recorder itself, so it can only play it, while rendering other players unable to even read it. I do think though, it works like an Audio CD. It hides the tracks, but it can play them on a CD player, or if you have the program.

Try checking the settings on the recorder. It might've recorded the CD in another format.

Also, your question is unanswerable, I think. A normal DVD would have visible files. If I burnt some songs onto a DVD, assuming it's burnt in MP3, the files are just copied onto the DVD. The recorder doesn't do so though.. That's the wierd part.

Try recording with a CD. I think that'll work.

~Kelvin