Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CardBus

• Please log in to reply

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am going to buy a wireless cardbus network adapter to make my wireless net out here faster cause it's really slow... but 1: I do not know if they are really even worth buying and 2: I don't know where a cardbus slot is located on my laptop... is it the slot where you sometimes use your id card as a login?... where you can slide your id card into? please help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a CARDBUS slot is a PCMCIA slot...it's usually on the side of the laptop looks something like this or this...just depends on your laptop

does your laptop already have wireless built in? (i assume it does since you're trying to speed something up) if it does...then a PCMCIA wireless card isn't going to help any....all wireless devices pretty much move at the same speed (assuming you're within the same protocol)

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the one that I was going to get said that it would move my speed from 54mbps all the way up to 300mbps (it can go up to that but most likely not all the way there)... it just said that it can boost it up to that far... so I thought that it would boost my speed since it said that it would do that... but your saying that it will not??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.....that must be a "draft N" card....which means you'd have to have an N router as well....802.11 G is still capped at 54 mbps to my knowledge

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 54Mbps figure is the connection speed between your computer and your router.
Your broadband speed is probably nowhere near this fast.
Therefore upgrading to a wireless 300Mbps adaptor may be possible, but it won't speed your internet browsing up.