Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM question

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Which is better: 3 GB of RAM (1x1GB + 1x2GB) or 2 GB of dual channel RAM (2x1GB)? I just got a new laptop, and it's coming with 3GB. But should I downgrade to 2x1GB sticks for dual channel, or would I see better performance by keeping the 3GB setup? My computer could handle 4GB, but I'm on a 32-bit OS and it's expensive to upgrade when I already have 3GB.

Thanks!

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Hi,

DIMM modules are 64-bit wide. When you install two modules under dual channel mode you double the number of bits that is transferred per clock cycle, making it 128 bits. This doubles the transfer rate.

Transfer rate can be calculated using the formula:

Transfer rate = effective clock x number of bits / 8

A single DDR2-533 module has a transfer rate of 4,264 MB/s. When you install two modules using dual channel, this rate doubles to 8,528 MB/s. The memory is still working at "533 MHz" (in fact it is really working at 266 MHz transferring two data per clock pulse) but you achieve a performance as if it were working at 1,066 MHz.

You can read our latest review to have a better idea on performance impact:

http://www.hardwares...com/article/386

Cheers,
Gabriel.

I got that from hardwaresecrets.com hope it helps! That should cover everything you need to know, they are talking about DDR2 533 but the idea is general. I will answer anything else that need be said.

Soorena