Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't open links in outlook or excel

• Please log in to reply

ycohain

ycohain

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi -
I can't open any links in excel or outlook. I am using windows XP with office 2003 and haven't had this problem before. Whenever I try opening a link I get an error message that says:

"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I am the administrator as this is a stand alone pc.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
YC.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello YC and welcome to geeks to go!

I know it may seem indirect, it could be some settings in Internet Explorer. In IE(7), try resetting your browser by going into Tools | Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and click the Reset button.

Regards,

Ax

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The follow KB item discusses this problem as the effect of upgrading to IE7.
http://support.micro...kb/940169/en-us

It could still occur in IE6 if an option was changed affecting the running of "allowed" applications. I have no deep understanding of the explanation.

mpsurge

mpsurge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows 7 RC user here:

Same issues - Not able to open links in various programs.

Resolution:

Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command
Double-click (Default).
In the Edit String dialog box, type "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome, and then click OK.

Close Regedit.

In My case I did not have the full path as described above.

So:
Simply add the rest of the registry string as need, close regedit. now go and re-open your program you were having issues with, most likely it will now work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: mpsurge

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is almost 2 years old now, it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.