Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Hummer hybrid?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.fastcompa...ad-messiah.html
[quote name='http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.html']“Check it out. It's actually a jet engine," says Johnathan Goodwin, with a low whistle. "This thing is gonna be even cooler than I thought." We're hunched on the floor of Goodwin's gleaming workshop in Wichita, Kansas, surrounded by the shards of a wooden packing crate. Inside the wreckage sits his latest toy--a 1985-issue turbine engine originally designed for the military. It can spin at a blistering 60,000 rpm and burn almost any fuel. And Goodwin has some startling plans for this esoteric piece of hardware: He's going to use it to create the most fuel-efficient Hummer in history...

...Goodwin leads me over to a red 2005 H3 Hummer that's up on jacks, its mechanicals removed. He aims to use the turbine to turn the Hummer into a tricked-out electric hybrid. Like most hybrids, it'll have two engines, including an electric motor. But in this case, the second will be the turbine, Goodwin's secret ingredient. Whenever the truck's juice runs low, the turbine will roar into action for a few seconds, powering a generator with such gusto that it'll recharge a set of "supercapacitor" batteries in seconds. This means the H3's electric motor will be able to perform awesome feats of acceleration and power over and over again, like a Prius on steroids. What's more, the turbine will burn biodiesel, a renewable fuel with much lower emissions than normal diesel; a hydrogen-injection system will then cut those low emissions in half. And when it's time to fill the tank, he'll be able to just pull up to the back of a diner and dump in its excess french-fry grease--as he does with his many other Hummers. Oh, yeah, he adds, the horsepower will double--from 300 to 600.

"Conservatively," Goodwin muses, scratching his chin, "it'll get 60 miles to the gallon. With 2,000 foot-pounds of torque. You'll be able to smoke the tires. And it's going to be superefficient."

He laughs. "Think about it: a 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60 miles to the gallon and does zero to 60 in five seconds!"[/quote]

seems like sound logic....turbines in and of themselves can use EMENSE amounts of fuel (M1A1 Abrams tanks have massive jet turbine engines and consume about three gallons per mile...not miles per gallon) so using a turbine to power a vehicle directly doesn't make any sense whatsoever....but the fact that they can create such HUGE RPMs means that they can spin up a generator EXTREMELY efficiently...thereby limiting the actual turbines use.....makes ya think doesn't it?

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I want one, but I want him to make it with the real Hummer, not the fakers that they are making now. The H2 and H3 have made me lose almost all respect for the Hummer brand.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the millitary hummers aren't made by GM (which the commercial hummers are)...i wouldn't trust the same company that makes a saturn to make a high end (seldomly used)off road vehicle....

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Don't the commercial Hummers have one of the lowest dependability ratings of any vehicle? I saw a stretch Hummer limo over the weekend - my husband and I were wondering what the MPG rating was on that.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

well...the millitary hummers aren't made by GM (which the commercial hummers are)...i wouldn't trust the same company that makes a saturn to make a high end (seldomly used)off road vehicle....

They were made by AM General and are now referred to as H1. AM General stopped production of the H1 a few years ago. I always wanted one (still do), but the fuel consumption was too high. Getting an H1 with its durability and size with the type of mileage that this article talks about would be the best of every world.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Don't the commercial Hummers have one of the lowest dependability ratings of any vehicle?

pretty much....a lady at work has an H2....it's "nice" (not as much leg room in the back as one would expect though) but the suspension squeeks like crazy when she turns, doesn't turn, hits a bump, doesn't hit a bump...she says that started 2 weeks after she got it and no one (not even the dealer) has a sollution

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have an uncle that has an H1 Hummer. 2 years ago it was involved in a 35 car pileup during an ice storm on a highway. The car that he hit in front of him was totaled and the car that hit him from behind was totaled. He got 2 scratches and a broken tail light.

I want one of those.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
steal his?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Or have the monkey do it for you.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, that's quite an idea! However, I do see the flows here. Mainly: jet engines work on compressing air and burning it to create massive amounts of thrust. However; jet engines are efficient only at high speed, because they need massive amounts of air to make good thrust. To get over it, they have a fan running in high speeds, to inject air into the engine and burn it. For the fan to move, there has to be a constant engine working on spinning it. Engines run on fuel. :) In airplanes, the jet engine has a turbine inside the engine working on producing this power.

Seeing as the Hummer doesn't usually do 200 Miles Per Hour to have sufficient air coming into it, so as not to use the electricity required to power the fan, I can see the flows in this plan. The jet engine will have to come to work only at high speeds and it's still not going to be really efficient.

I might be wrong, most probably I am, because I'd think that the developer would have thought that over, but I think this is not going to work... And I haven't mentioned the noise... :)

And the car I would like would be this one: (I took the picture)

Posted Image

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well landlord....not all turbine engines are the same as jet engines on jets...most of them have their own compressors.....think of those "jet cars" with full on jet engines on them....where the jet engine is supplying thrust....or heck a jet that's just taking off...it's not going 200 right away....

also...the turbine engine (different than a jet engine on a fighter plane) isn't supplying thrust....it's using "explosions" to spin a turbine.....the burning fuel causes the preassure to spin up the tubines and the expansion of the gasses cause more air to be sucked into the intake

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

well landlord....not all turbine engines are the same as jet engines on jets...most of them have their own compressors.....think of those "jet cars" with full on jet engines on them....where the jet engine is supplying thrust....or heck a jet that's just taking off...it's not going 200 right away....

also...the turbine engine (different than a jet engine on a fighter plane) isn't supplying thrust....it's using "explosions" to spin a turbine.....the burning fuel causes the preassure to spin up the tubines and the expansion of the gasses cause more air to be sucked into the intake

Well, isn't it practically the same thing as a conventional engine?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...no not at all...a combustion engine uses pistons and a crank shaft...a turbine uses....a turbine (like a big fan)...not the same at all...also no combustion engine could match the torque and HP that a turbine can put out....go to wiki...they will tell you (or better yet... www.howstuffworks.com)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I will :)

I just thought you meant Jet Engines, so seeing as I have some knowledge in the field, I sensed something wrong :)