Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Importing Excel file into Outlook

• Please log in to reply

MadMama

MadMama

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,
Im using MS Office 2007 and wanted to put all the contact info I have for an organization I belong to into Outlook from Excel. I found a great little tutorial explaining how to do this by exporting the Excel file into a .txt document and using that. Trouble is, it imported about 24 address (out of 108) and then quit with an error msg. Unfortunately I didnt write it down and it got so late last night I dont recall what it said, some kind of IMAP erorr. But again I searched the net and found a MS fix for it, but it said it was for Office 2003. I thought what the [bleep] and tried it. Wrong-O. Now if I try to import the .txt file I get this msg:
"Translator Error
A file error has occurred in Tab Separated Values (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to build a field map."
Then it says Outlook is unable to preform the task, make sure you have the right file, permission to open it, or that its not being used by another program.
I got the right, it isnt open, and its not being used by anything else.
How can I fix this so I can import these contacts? And any clue how to uninstall the MS Office 03 fix I installed?
Thanks in advance for your help.
MadMama

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you've got an excell file with a bunch of contacts in it and you're wanting to import them into outlook?

you should be able to just import from an excell file, click on file, then import/export, choose "import from a file or another program", choose "microsoft excell", find the file, then highlight contacts in the next window, then choose next...that should import the contacts...of course the excel file has to be in the proper format with the proper fields for it to work (which might be where your translation error is coming in?)

MadMama

MadMama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

so you've got an excell file with a bunch of contacts in it and you're wanting to import them into outlook?

you should be able to just import from an excell file, click on file, then import/export, choose "import from a file or another program", choose "microsoft excell", find the file, then highlight contacts in the next window, then choose next...that should import the contacts...of course the excel file has to be in the proper format with the proper fields for it to work (which might be where your translation error is coming in?)

Yes, thats what I want to do, but Import/Choose Another Program/Excel (2007) is not an option. 97-2003 only. Thats why I used the tutorial to export a .txt from a .xls and originally I got the IMAP error. Im sure this new error msg is from that dumb 2003 fix I tried to use. Im of half the mind right now that Ill need to uninstall/reinstall Outlook, but Ill still need to figure out how to import those addresses.
My whole Office Suite is 2007 so Im very dumbfounded that these programs cant speak to each other simply and successfully. But then again, I guess it wouldnt be Microsoft if it could! :)
Thanks for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try saving the excell file as a CSV (should be an option in the file save dialogue) and import from that? (alot cleaner than straight TXT)

MadMama

MadMama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, a quick attempt got me past the error message. Now I just have to format the .csv file so I can get everything in the right category. Ill let you know how it goes. Thank you!

MadMama

MadMama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Worked perfectly, thank you!