Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware Possibility

• Please log in to reply

hi2utoo

hi2utoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Brief History - Low usage computer, wife's that she uses for e-mail and visits a few sites. Got an infection while doing research for plants, my fault not not keeping her antivirus uptodate. I tried cleaning it with all the standard available tools including the items on site here following instructions.

Decided to just do a system reload, short version, with the disk that came with the Computer, Compaq 6000, which I've done before and was quick and simple. Got everything loaded, added SP2. When I tried to get the wireless working can't get it to connect although I've gone through everything multiply times, plus compared to my laptop I'm on right now, wireless. Note this is a DSL Router setup with ATT. OK next I tried to just run a cable over to the Router, approx. 50 ft. no problem and got connection. When I bring Iexplorer up it will start loading the page then freeze and show 98-100% CPU usage in the Managment Task Window and not responding. Tried multiply sites. I tried removing Iexplorer through windows and reinstall smae results. Tried loading the latest iexplorer and it gets a error during load, or I should say fails.

Odd - I ran AVG before I reloaded windows and it detected and cleaned a ton of stuff. After I reloaded windows and still had the problem I ran AVG again and it detected a ton of stuff and I cleaned it again. Note there are no other devices other than the thumbdrive I'm moving some information across by thumbdrive. My laptop is locked down tight and it scanned daily with, plus firewall, plus you name it. Get all window updates automatically etc. Still did a manula scan on it and the thunmdrive and both came back clean, so the problem of items reoccuring seem to be centered on the wife's computer.

Anyway I've attached the files per te descripted process. Thanx ahead of time and hopefully you'll see something that will be a quick fix.
If not my plans are to do a complete reformat and reload and be a lot more diligent with her system regarding security.

Update Note 11-30-2007 - Everything other than getting IExplorer to work seems to be OK. Got the unit back on wireless, using Firefox. Still would like to get Iexplorer working as a backup, but like Firefox just fine. Still curious is anyone can see anything in the logs below concerning, affecting IExplorer. Note that I've unloaded it and reloaded it. When I try to install IE7 it fails. Taking a break from it right now but will start at it again in a couple of days.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:54:58 PM, on 11/26/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\compaq\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\MA101 USB Adapter Configuration Utility\WlanMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\MSSQL7\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\urlmap.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://store.presari...t...c02&lc=0409
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Compaq
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: YBIOCtrl Class - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ycomp4,0,2,2.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WCOLOREAL] "C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Coloreal\coloreal.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DDCM] "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\DDC\DDCManager\DDCMan.exe" -Background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DDCActiveMenu] "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\DDC\ActiveMenu\DDCActiveMenu.exe" -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MA101 Configuration Utility .lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\MSSQL7\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=2c02&lc=0409
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Compaq Advisor (Compaq_RBA) - NeoPlanet - C:\Program Files\compaq\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
O23 - Service: Content Monitoring Tool (msCMTSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msCMTSrvc.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 5905 bytes

Uninstall list - 11/26/2007

Adobe Acrobat 5.0
Atomic Pop
AVG 7.5
Blackhawk Striker
Blasterball 2
Blasterball Wild
Coloreal
Compaq Advisor
CompuServe 2000
Dark Orbit
Disney's Lilo and Stitch Pinball
DLA
Easy Access Button Support
GemMaster 2
HijackThis 2.0.2
Inactive HP Printer Drivers (Remove only)
Intel® 845G Chipset Graphics Driver Software
InterVideo WinDVD
Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1
Kublox
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 1.6 (Symantec Corporation)
MA101 USB Adapter Configuration Utility
Men In Black II Crossfire Trial Version
Microsoft Money 2002
Microsoft Money 2002 System Pack
Microsoft Works 6.0
Microsoft Works and Money 2002 Setup Launcher
Netscape 6 (6.2.1)
Python 2.2 combined Win32 extensions
Python 2.2.1
Quicken 2002 New User Edition
Quicken Financial Center
RealOne Player
RecordNow
RecordNow Update Manager
S3Display
S3Gamma2
S3Info2
S3Overlay
SabreWing 2
Snowboard Extreme
Space Rocks
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
Viewpoint Media Player (Remove Only)
Virtual Warfare
WildTangent Channel Manager
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Yahoo! Companion Toolbar
Yahoo! Essentials
Yahoo! Internet Mail
Yahoo! Login
Yahoo! Messenger
Yahoo! Messenger Explorer Bar

Edited by hi2utoo, 30 November 2007 - 05:40 PM.

Advertisements