Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus and Firewall

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I am not ure if this is the right place to post this but here goes... New Year is coming and I am on search of good Firewall and Anti-virus program, preferable both. I chose Eset smart security. Is this a good choice?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I have just recently been testing the demo of ESET Smart Security. While NOD32 is among the best virus protection, I'm still trying to find good research on the Spyware and Firewall protection. I think it would be fine, but I prefer to test these things before I make the decision. I'm a very happy NOD32 user at the moment. Are you looking for other forms of paid protection, or do you want to look for some free alternatives?

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I would like to have Firewall, Anti-VIrus and Antyspiware in one package to avoid conflicts. I also don't want ZOne Alarm anymore, as I find it to be hoggy on my computer (while being fine on another.) Also, I am looking for something very light and fast as ESET. I really don't mind paying for a year subscribtion, especially if I am getting good product. I am also behind hardware firewall (Netgear). I tested myself without software firewall through netgear, and came out stealthy. So passive defense is ok. However, if someone attacks, I want to make sure I am protected.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
If you want a pay for solution check out Kaspersky or Eset NOD32 they both do anti virus/firewall bundles.

If you're looking for free stuff then try Avast Antivirus, Comodo firewall. I use separate packages and i've never had a conflict. I prefer a multi layered approach myself, I don't like the thought of just one package protecting me.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm not a fan of security packages. I use NOD32 2.7 antivirus/spyware because I'm a fan of their heuristic analysis. It picks up EVERYTHING in the wild, or at least for me! For firewall, I use Comodo Pro 2.4 (not v3 - not a fan of that yet). It's the best free firewall out there. In fact, it's one of the best firewalls you can get - paid or unpaid.

A secondary spyware scanner like Spybot or Ad-Aware is good to use and run frequent scans - both free, and use Trend Micro's Housecall or Kaspersky's online scanner at least once a month.

Since using Comodo and buying NOD32 2.7, I've never had a virus or spyware that's not been picked up.

As for ESET Security Suite, I'm not a fan of their firewall. It's light and good on resources with varying reviews, but I can't get past Comodo.

I've heard very good reviews about Online Armor free firewall but the free version uses a whitelist, and I don't like whitelists. I prefer Comodo, but check out www.tallemu.com