Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Internet Connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Kathyf

Kathyf

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
After a download I was alerted of a virus from my Sophos software, I immediately stopped the download and deleted the file . after running ad-aware and sophos I found the infected files and have cleaned or deleted except one that is showing in my recyler.. but after all this I am unable to connect to the internet, I'm on Hughes Net Satelitte 2 way system. When I try to repair the connection I get the following error....
' Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the follwoing action cannot be completed: TCP/IP is not enable for this connection. Cannot proceed.' For assistance contact person who manages your network.

Well that would be me.. unfornately I'm not really a network person. This is a home wireless network so the two computers can both access the internet but we don't access each others computers. 2 computers only. Currently this is being typed from the second computer that still has internet access.

HELP!!!!! as usual you assistance with this is GREATLY appreciated.

Kathy Fakes
Lebanon, TN

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Try WinSockXPFix. This will reset your TCP/IP stack and hopefully fix your problem.

Kathyf

Kathyf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Great... I'm downloading and will copy to the other computer. Now about the file in my recyler, how do I get rid of it. I've dumped the trash but it still finds it there... it is as follows:

c:\recycler\s-1-5-21-842925246-790525478-839522115-1003\dc9.exe

each time I try to delete says it is in use by another person or program, to close all programs an try again.

Any suggestions....????
THANKS
Kathy

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Try booting the computer into Safe Mode and deleting it from there. If that doesn't work, there are a number of third-party applications that can delete/shred files.
Also, from Microsoft KB Article 229041:

To resolve this issue, delete the files from an MS-DOS prompt. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Change to the drive and folder where you deleted the files. For example if you deleted a file from the C:\Windows folder, type cd\windows at the C: prompt, and then press ENTER.
3. From that folder type cd recycler, and then press ENTER.
4. From the Recycler folder type dir, and then press ENTER. You may see some UserSID folders where SID is the security ID for each user who deleted files in that folder.
5. Type cd userSID, and then press ENTER.
6. Type del *.*, and then press ENTER. If you receive an error message that indicates some files are open, quit all the programs running on your computer.
7. Type cd.., press ENTER, and then repeat steps 5-7 for each folder in the Recycler folder.
8. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

Kathyf

Kathyf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! I managed to get the file deleted from Safe mode and the winsockfix took care of repairing the connection problem. You are the best thing since sliced bread..... YIPEEEEEEE!!!!! you have no idea how much you are appreciated.

THANKS A BILLION

Kathy Fakes
Lebanon, TN

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear it's working!

Steven