Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me before I throw it away!

• Please log in to reply

lalexander98

lalexander98

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My mother's computer is a Dell Dimension 2400.(out of warranty) When I turn the computer on it stops at a black screen and says "Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done" "A disk read error has occurred" Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". CAD only restarts and takes me back to this exact spot. I have tried F2 and F12 (probably didn't do what I needed to) and nothing helped. I also tried Ctrl+F11 to restore factory settings and it stopped in the middle and canceled. I understand this may be a hd issue, but would like any and all other possible options first. I am not worried about losing data, I just want my mom to have a working computer.
Thanks in advance,
Lynn

Edited by lalexander98, 26 November 2007 - 08:06 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a hard drive issue. Need to replace the hard drive and run your Dell installation CD again to set the system back up.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello lalexander98 and welcome to G2G!

I've done a few Google searches and it appears that the hard drive may be damage or the boot sector/file system is corrupt.

Use your Windows XP setup disk to boot into the recovery console.

Run chkdsk /r c: and then run fixboot.