Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

psmurf1

psmurf1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys, my back-up computer has just crashed and won't boot up. I tried going into the bios setup to boot from the cd but pressing "R" for repair didn't work and now I can't even get into the bios setup, I'm now stuck in the "start windows normally " page and it won't let me go up or down to start in safe mode'' or '' last good configuration" , message on this page says -following file is missing or corrupt: system32\ drivers\Ntfs.sys-. when I first started the computer (the first time in a week) it started normally but with a message saying my antivirus (avg) was not up to date, this is normal and it usually updates in a few minutes but as you say in the forums, it only takes a few seconds to get infected, when I returned to it 15 minutes later it had froze, and to be honest I don't have the foggiest notion of what to do next, I've restarted it six or seven times hitting the "delete"button but nothing doing, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, Chris

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Looks like Windows XP is corrupted. Think you should reformat the computer. But, before you do so, if you do have any files you want to keep, plug the hard drive into another computer, and shift the files to partition D or C (whichever one you don't use for installing XP) or into the other computer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm taking a guess at that.

~Kelvin

psmurf1

psmurf1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Kelvin, there's nothing on the pc that I can't live without and I would try to reformat it if I could figure out how to get out of the page it freezes on when I try to boot up, namely the page that says "safe start, last known...., start windows normally " etc, it won't let me scroll up or down, perhaps I have a faulty keyboard but it's only a few months old and was working perfectly before the freeze ,so I'm not confident that that is the problem but I will get another kb somewhere and try again, anyway thanks for your time Papa

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi psmurf1...

I've seen bad RAM modules cause this problem. Download the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and create a bootable disk as described on the download page. Boot your machine to this disk and let it run diagnostics for an hour or two. If you see any red "Failed" messages, then you likely have a bad module.

wannabe1

psmurf1

psmurf1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks wannabe1, I will try that tomorrow with fingers crossed ,Papa