Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All bars of IE are gone!

• Please log in to reply

bbmorales

bbmorales

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
All bars of IE are gone! I mean, no tools bar, nothing. But, even this way, if I open a html file of my hard disk, it opens.

Where can I find the setting files of IE to fix it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
It sounds like you got ahold of some spyware that applied restrictions to IE or that IE may be corrupted.

Please take all necessary precautions when editing the registry and make sure you back it up first. (I would suggest if your squemish with registry work to post a Hijack-This log into the proper forum and remove any restrictions that way)

You can apply or turn off these restrictions either to one user by setting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions registry key

or to all users by setting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions registry key.

If you set a restriction at both the user and the machine level, the machine level setting takes precedence. A value of 1 enables the restriction; a value of 0 disables the restriction.

To remove a restriction, perform the following steps:

Start regedit.exe.
Go to either HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions (for a user) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions (for all users).

From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value.
In the table, find the desired value, enter it for the Value name, and press Enter.
Double-click the new value and set it to 0 to disable the restriction. Click OK.
Close regedit.

Items to change the DWord to 0:

NoLinksBar
NoAddressBar
NoToolBar
NoBrowserBars
NoHelpMenu
NoNavButtons
NoFavorites
NoBrowserContextMenu
NoToolbarOptions

Btn_Back
Btn_Forward
Btn_Stop
Btn_Refresh
Btn_Home
Btn_Search
Btn_History
Btn_Favorites
Btn_Copy
Btn_Paste

If this doesn't work then you can try and re-install IE ... post back and i will walk you through it.

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I assume that you have run spyware scans with Ad-aware and Spybot already?

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Have you tried the F11 key with IE? What you describe sounds like you may have hit this key on mistake.

bbmorales

bbmorales

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey, thanks for all your help.

I wasnīt able yet to restore my IE bars. But let me try to explain what happened a little better.

Yesterday, I just had been infected with Smitfraud, and since then my bars where gone. I had success cleaning my pc, with help of Malware Forum, but I still got some, of other kind, malware on my pc. But they never got to hide my IE bars before.

I just followed the steps Salient told me, but it didnīt restored my bars.
I got a doubt: I have to create these values, right? Itīs what I did.

Well, Iīll try to post my Hijack-This log on Malware forum, but thanks anyway. If there is another guess how to help, Iīd be grateful.