Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DX10 - Vista or XP64?

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Right, forgot about that.
It looks good to me, one thing to keep in mind about that memory set, it'll likely be only one rebate per customer. So you'll be paying 40$ for one set 90$ for the other.
Just though I ought to point it out.
James

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
thanks for your help guys... will be ordering on this coming monday for 3 day delivery so hopefully your not hearing back from me on Thursday or Friday with troubles :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem :)
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hope I'm not too late to add comments, just looking at the "final build" you have posted. Everything looks very nice!

1) What are you planning on doing with the two extra "Thermaltake" case fans? Your computer case "Cooler Master Mystique" already comes with 2x 120mm fans, one on front and one on back.

2) Also, if James is right and the rebates for your RAM is only one per customer, see if you can get a family member or friend to do it for one set. Offer them a $10 incentive, you'd still save $$$.

3) And I'm not too sure, but I don't think you'll be taking a "performance hit" using the 4x 1GB sticks of RAM and 32-bit OS, it will just use as much as it can and you should be happy with the performance. Of course, upgrading to 64-bit down the track will see how much of a difference there is :)

There is nothing to be leary about, here is an example.. the nvidia 8800GT is the first pciexpress 2.0 video card to be released and people with P35 motherboards are getting the full speed of the video card.

This is me! I have a reasonably similar system to yours. Currently I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (you are ordering the DS3L version) motherboard, same hard drive, same processor, 2GB GeIL Ultra, Antec True Power Trio 650W and a Gainward 8800GT. I am not complaining about performance! It's very good :) Hopefully this should run nicely for you too.

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Spacecowboy, I am building a new system and I posted a topic about it. "Building a new computer," it is in the same thread as this and if you scroll down to the bottom you will see the system I put together, I did not add cooling or HDD or ram because I already have it but you could substitute out the graphic card I picked out for the hd3870 and also get a cheaper board. But like they said you could easily overclock the graphics card. I also went with the q6600, you could find something less expensive then that and still kill the AMD you chose.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Troy.

1) i read on a couple different forums that the stock fans that generally come with a case are "most of the time" junk, so i thought to just get 2 decent ones just in case i encountered that with this case.... preventative ordering is all :)

2) I have NEVER gotten a rebate back from ordering online.. always some excuse or other so i dont even count on it anymore... If i get it Nice.. but highly doubtful.

3) Yeh others have posted about that, saying something about the pc only really using 3 to 3.4Gb of it ... but i also read somewhere that if your using a dual core processor that has 64 bit support as this one does, then i have to use a 64bit OS to use both cores? still not sure about this part? can someone answer for sure... am i going to need a 64 bit OS for this procesor to use both cores and also get the max use out of the 4gb of ram? or can i use a 32bit OS and still use both cores and at least 3.4gb of the 4gb ram?

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 29 November 2007 - 08:04 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
1. Yup, usually they start off good, but fail within a year (they aren't built to last), I always have some on hand as the local guys charge a arm and a leg for a decent case fan.
2. Phone the rebate hotline, I had to do this with OCZ, sometimes they get errors. To prevent a large backlog they just through them onto the back burner, usually never to be touched again. If you bug them, they review your file and you'll normally get the rebate, unless you really screwed up somehow.
3. No, 32bit operating systems can use any number of course, though page filing will likely increase as the amount of cores increase, can't see it being a noticable amount though. No, a 32bit OS will work fine with a dual, quad and likely a octo processor. After that, 64bit operating systems will be the norm and 32bit bit operating systems will be a thing of the past. Given the amount of video RAM you have, I'd say a good estimate would be ~3.25-3.3GB of RAM will be shown. Though I could be wrong, this is only a rough estimate (keep in mind, I can guarantee it won't be more then 3.35GB).
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 November 2007 - 12:09 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
cool so i can keep my trusty ol' XP PRO32.. wooohoo, i have been avoiding vista.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) Yup.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
...You just wont have DX10.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Alright the pc is here and put together and works like a champ about 98% of the time... Having an issue i cant figure out though and have pleaded for help in a new thread located here... http://www.geekstogo...up-t179315.html