Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fragmentation

• Please log in to reply

NetStatic

NetStatic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all! I'm new here and I thought this looked like a good place to ask for some ideas.

Heres my issue:

I have a terminal server that houses about 30 users. They use Outlook express as their email client. Anyways we have some serious fragmentation issues with everyone's emails saved on the terminal server. The harddrive is 33GIG and it has 71% file fragmentation and 5%free space fragmentation. It has 18% free space. Anyways we have tried to defrag the hardrive with the Windows Utility but it skips everyone's email files because they are so large and fragmented.

Does anyone recommend a 3rd party piece of software than can rid the fragments?

I really don't want to move everyone's emails and telling people to delete all their emails is not an option. We want to implement a raid5 array but not untill the harddrive is free of most fragments.

What would be the implications of expanding the partition to a raid5 array with the current partition full of fragments? My guess is that wouldn't help anything. Any ideas or recommendation?

Edited by NetStatic, 27 November 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

I'd try Perfect Disk. I used this before partitioning my drive and it worked wonders. I love the UI as well. You can evaluate it and not have to buy it. So I'd give that a shot.

Steven

NetStatic

NetStatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cool, I'll read the specs on that. Thanks.