Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW+- not reading blank discs

• Please log in to reply

deano199

deano199

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I'm running a HP PC with XP, Pentium 4 processor 560 & 1GB DDR

I have had a problem with my DVD+- RW drive not reading blank DVDs also the DVD ROM has not worked for sometime, wont read any disc.

When I try and explore either drive with a blank DVD in the tray I get "please insert a disk into drive.
I have bought 2 different branded discs Philips DVD+RW & Verbatim DVD+RW. I have put both media brands into my daughters PC and both are recognised.
I have sucessfully burnt a home movie from Pinnacle studio 8 onto the philips DVD a coulpe of weeks ago, this disc is recognised and plays through autoplay.
I have swapped out the HP dvd writer dvd360 and replaced with a old NEC dvd+- RW ND 1300a.
When I rebooted my Pc and inserted a Blank DVD it did read blanks, but after one use trying to burn a DVD form Pinnacle studio 8 it no longer reads blanks.
I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware problem. Can anyone please help.
Thanks… Deano

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your burining software may need updating. Updates are normally free from the relevant websites, provided it's the same version (eg updating v6.2 to v6.3), but an upgrade (eg from v6 to v7) has to paid for.

deano199

deano199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Pip22, Thanks for the advice I will have a look at updating the software. Any views on why the ROM wont read any disc?
Deano

deano199

deano199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No update for Pinnacle studio 8. (no longer supported).
Would this really matter as exploring the drives in my computer the drive is found but not the media. This is independent form the burning soft ware.
Any further thoughts please.

Deano