Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to delete multiple partitions?

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
hey
here's my story
i threw out my old hard drive, because i found a new one somewhere around the house
found out the hard drive had been used before, and it has c:\ d:\ and e:\
it also has windows 2000 server on it
i only want one partition, c:\ and i want windows 2000 gone
how do i do it?

my hd is 80 gb

thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shinakuma9...

If you'll be putting XP on it, you can delete the partitions during the install process using the XP cd. You will be given the opportunity to delete any and all of the partitions and allowed to format the entire drive as a single partition.

wannabe1

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can resize the partition by a partitioning tool such as partition magic, or since you want the entire drive gone, use DBAN (Dariks boot and nuke). It will write 1 and 0 to the entire drive (security wipe).

Find it at http://dban.sourceforge.net/

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Hi shinakuma9...

If you'll be putting XP on it, you can delete the partitions during the install process using the XP cd. You will be given the opportunity to delete any and all of the partitions and allowed to format the entire drive as a single partition.

wannabe1

i alredy have xp installed
i just want one partition is all and i want windows 2000 gone
thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What partition is XP installed on?

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
xp is on d:\
2000 is on c:\

theres nothing on e

i want everything on d:\
all the other partitions
and windows 2000 gone

thanks

Edited by shinakuma9, 27 November 2007 - 10:28 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry. I think I may have unsubscribed from this topic while unsubscribing from a few others. My apologies.

Typically, the root partition is C. You can use D as the root, but you may run into some problems down the road. That said, you should be able to to do what you want using the XP Disk management feature. (right click on My Computer, choose Manage, expand Storage, choose Disk Management) Deleting the extra partitions should put things as you want them.

There are applications that can do a better job of this such as Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic, but these will both require purchase. I use the Acronis application and it works very well.

A word of warning...anytime you start shifting or deleting partitions, you take a chance at loosing data or messing up the formatting.

DarkGuard

DarkGuard

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey there.

If you have no files that you want, better solution is to format your hard drive and make partitions you want at the exact size. Now if you have some files that you need just write them on a usb stick, CD or DVD and then you are ready to start. I can give you all help needed. I am formating and doing partition at least 3 times a day for Windows XP. Good luck.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
c:\ has windows 2000 server on it, and a bigger problem is, that its 8gb and so is e:\ while d has the majority of the space, around 60 gb
any way i can delete windows 2000 and bring everything, including the xp install over to c?