Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memorex 52x cd-rw

• Please log in to reply

PuroPedo

PuroPedo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I upgraded from windows me to windows xp pro and my memorex 52x drive work fine.For some reason a family member who no longer resides in my home,decided to format my hard drive .(angry look here) so I wound up having to pay a computer person to install windoxs xp sp2 for me due to the fact the copy I had is just a upgrade of xp and FURTHERMORE my copy of windows me had mysteriously disappeared..so......

Now even tho windows xp sp2 recognizes my cd-rw drive (memorex) and it shows to be there, it will not read nor write to it, even tho I have already re installed the software that came with it, Nero 6..I've tried all i know how to do, with my limited knowledge of such things..deleted driver,deleted upper/lowerfields via regedit,deleted/re-installed nero 6, disconnetc cd-rw drive cables, re attached them, all to no avail..

Help.! If it's down to having to purchase another drive so be it.I would rather fix it, then replace it.May the hardware Gods be merciful and grant me this request..

What can i do to fix this?

Thank you so much.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you tried writing to the drive using XP's built-in CD-writing utility? If that works but nero 6 doesn't, that would indicate a problem with nero rather than with the drive. You need to look in to that probability first. Make sure there is a blank, writable CD in the drive, select a file (eg one from 'My Documents'), right-click and choose "Send To" and left-click the name of your cd-writer from the context-menu.