Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Issue with 3rd comp

• Please log in to reply

Bonsai_IX

Bonsai_IX

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so my friend has this computer that he shut down one day and would never turn back on. As far as I know it wasn't hit by a surge or naything and was surge protected. However when you plug it in and flip the hard power switch on, then press the soft power button, nothing happens. I'm fairly certain that there is still power going through the power supply because the motherboard has a power indicator light on it and it turns on when you flip the hard power to on. Any ideas? i basically broke the soft power button off trying to mess around with it. If this is probably just a case issue i dont have a problem buying a new case and transplanting it, but if the motherboard is fried, then i'll just tell him its done. Thanks...

Already rewired all of the power to make sure it was right
redid all of the USB and power buttons
tried the reset button in place of the power button to see if maybe it was a bad switch
that was everything i could think of... i downloaded the motherboard directions and basically reisntalled the whole thing, if you can think of anything that might help please let me know, the motherboard is an Asus P4P8X with an intel P4 chip in it corsair ram... etc, was a gaming comp, thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I'm assuming that the LED on the motherboard is the only thing that comes right? i.e no cpu fan, no power supply fan etc

If so, then a couple of obvious things to try:
1. Double check that the soft power switch is connected to the correct pins on the motherboard. You said that the case switch broke so I suggest you use the reset switch again. According to the manual, the soft power connects to these 2 pins (in blue):

o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o o o

This is when positioning the board so that these pins are in the bottom right corner of the board.

2. If the switch is ok, then your best bet is to try a different PSU (or if you have no choice, test this PSU on another computer).

3. I'd also suggest clearing the bios - make sure you disconnect the external power lead, then disconnect the internal ATX power cable from the motherboard before clearing the bios. Move the jumper cap so that it covers pins 2-3 of the CLRTC1 header (next to the battery). Leave for 30 seconds then return jumper to pins 1-2.

If you've already cleared the bios, then make sure the jumper is covering the correct 2 pins (i.e 1-2) for normal operation.

Let me know how you get on