Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disc Burning problem.

• Please log in to reply

MatCon5

MatCon5

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I used to have an LG GSA-H10N DVD burner which could burn up to 16x. It would only burn at 12x. (I am using media that can be burnt at 16x). Thinking it was my burner and wanting a SATA cd drive I bought a new one, a Pioneer 212D which can burn at 18x. But will only burn at 12x.

Using Nero btw.

I have an MSI Neo-F P965 Conroe board.
1.09 BIOS version
newest drivers installed.

Anyone have an idea of what I can do to solve this problem?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The speed at which you can actually burn is not determined just by the max burning speed the drive is capable of.

The burning software itself determines how reliable that brand of CD is, and adjusts the actual burning speed accordingly to
avoid writing errors. This is fundamentally better than using 'dumb' software which burns at your chosen speed regardless and you end up with errors on the disc -- errors you will be blissfully unaware of until you need to read from it.

Trying a different, high-quality brand may allow the drive to reach x16

However, be wary of always striving to attain the fastest writing speed possible. Faster speeds mean more chance of write-errors even on high-quality media. My priority is to ensure a reliable burn, not get it done as quickly as possible.

Edited by pip22, 29 November 2007 - 03:12 AM.

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the information pip22. I was only concerned that it might be a problem with my chipset or something of the sort.

Thank you again.

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It seems with my brothers computer and his burner he can burn the same kinds of discs (DVD+R) at 16x.
I remember awhile ago, with my old burner I could burn these discs at 16x but now it seems I can't at all. This is driving me crazy lol

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I used Nero's info tool, and it shows my Pioneer DVR-212D as having a maximum read of 8x and write at 12x. It seems this is all it's capable of.
I updated my motherboard drivers the best I could, getting everything from the MSI website that I could.

Anyone have any more advice? Thanks in advance.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi MatCon5,

Your Pioneer drive supports 18X writing onto a Single Layer DVD. That is what it is capable of. I do quite a bit of burning and have found that some blank DVD's [Mostly the cheaper ones] do not give you the option to write at 16X even if they are 16X discs. Read pip22's post again, he hit the nail on the head with his post.
Also, even the expensive discs that do write at 16X have some data loss, I write at 8X and have never had a problem since. Takes longer but it's worth it in the end.

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok, thank you both for your input. 12x is very reasonable anyways =P

Thanks again!