Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just bought a Hard Drive, and my PC isn't recognizing it

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Alright I just bought this Hard Drive off newegg:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136178

And i have that hard drive in an external case: --> This is the case http://www.thermalta...a2395/a2395.asp

I connected it and everything, the Hard Drive just isnt appearing on my PC, I hear a sound when it connects to it but it doesn't connect. Is the hard drive & that case not compatible or something?

I tried connecting it too my laptop, it installs the new device or w/e but it doesn't show up under My Computer.

+++ Also, a litttle off topic for a second

I purchased this memory off new egg http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820144157

This is my PC --> HP Pavilion a1312n (Media Center)

1. Is that memory good for my computer?
2. And, Ive already put 1 of the GIG chips in my PC and my computer isn't recognizing the memory upgrade either.. Why is that?

Edited by Charliee03, 29 November 2007 - 11:35 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to format it.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Should prompt you with a wizard to follow to format the drive.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I cannot find that option on my computer.

The thing is, the drive is showing up under hardware an components, its just not accessible. Its not showing up under My Computer or anything.

Ive tried to format the drive through the program PC Inspector File Recovery, and it shows up under the Tab that says Physical Drive- Fixed Disk 465.76 GB ( <<-- its a 500 GIG hard drive) So its showing it as its already formatted? How can I connect this thing.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unformatted drives (or drives that are formatted in a fashion that XP does not recognise) do not show up in My Computer under Microsoft Windows.

No access to Disk Management can be caused by not being logged into an Administrator account.
465Gb (formatted capacity) for a 500Gb (raw) drive is correct, give or take a Gb or two.