Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow IE Startup

• Please log in to reply

RSC

RSC

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
When I open IE, it takes about 20 seconds for it to become active. It opens immediately, but the tab says "Connecting" and I can't start surfing until it's done. This is true even though I leave my home page as a blank page. I have also had that bar pop up frequently at the top of web pages that says "Warning: possible spyware or adware infection! Click here to scan your computer for spyware and adware..." Is this malware, or is it one of the security devices built into IE7? Thanks.

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I can think of a few things for you to try:

-Scan computer for spyware/malware and virus (and remove/quarantine accordingly)
-Is your internet connection slow?
-Have you got sufficient RAM?

Dj J...

Dj J...

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
mine did the same..i found a viruson my comp..after that it was fine..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello RSC...

"Warning: possible spyware or adware infection! Click here to scan your computer for spyware and adware..."

That is a good reason to visit the Malware Forum.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1