Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system recovery!

• Please log in to reply

Myllo

Myllo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
k heres what going on.... over the past years ive used the utility system recovery in my hp pavilion to give it a breath of fresh air since i feel every time i do it the pc works faster, anyways the problem ive suffered recently is that i tried to run system recovery on my hp pavilion using the f10 key during boot up (the hidden partition in the hard drive) but when the system goes into "recovering windows files and programs" i get these error messages saying: "error in the extraction process, blah blah blah, couldnt be opened" during this procedure some of the files are recovered and some are not (mostly arent). Anyways, i cant use my pc any longer because the 1st step of the recovery process is to format into ntfs my hard drive. so now im left with an "almost" erased hard drive and no OS to work with :). By the way before doing all that jazz i ran a program called regcure, a "registry cleaner" i think it had something to do with looking into my hidden partition and erasing some of the data needed for the recovery to work. My question is, is it possible to fix the hidden partition without having to buy a retail version of windows xp? and if i do buy one, will i be able to install the OS from scratch with no problem? hp offers the recovery cds at a price but why buy something thats already installed in the hidden partition? o and i borrowed a friends windows xp version but its a green cd that belongs to Dell computers, can it be used to install xp on my hp?
i have an hp pavilion 751n system.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if the files in the hidden partition are corrupted and useless. Dell disk is not suitable because, as an OEM version of XP, it contains drivers and other files that are specific to DEll. Looks like your best option is to buy recovery disks from HP. Had the computer been under gurantee (which I doubt, according to your description) you could call HP for a replacement hard disk.

Myllo

Myllo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
K. i got home...and installed the windows xp version my friend let me borrow.... so far im in the tedious process of reinstalling all my crap, but.... the problem i got now is that i got 30! days to activate it... i think what ill do is work with this "limited" version of windows and buy a retail version when the time comes (Xmas ^^) Ty for your help and time guys