Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tell if hard drive is faulty / dieing?

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
I keep getting lots of orrupt files on my C:\ Drive and little error messages down the bottom saying file corrupt blahblah

Is this my harddrive dieing??

How can i tell??

i suspect it is because it only happens on my C:\ drive not my other 3

Is there anyway to tell if its a hardwar problem???

thanks

SpuD

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Run Check disk. If windows is operable go to: My Computer, right click on local drive C, click tools > error checking > check now. Check the two boxes and click start.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
have done that and yes it finds corrupt files and i think it sorted somee???

But does this mean my hd is faulty and dieingg???

SpuD

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Files don't corrupt themselves, they're corrupted either by software or by failing drives.
If a machine insists on telling you files are corrupt, then you should replace the drive.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
well for some reason it tells me the files our corrupt when i am running avg but the problem started with itunes

I have got another 2 harddrives i could use but its just the hassel of reinstalling windows again!

but im probs getting ew pc in a few weeks! so do you recon it will kast till then??

Cheers

SpuD

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You might check to see if the maker of the disk has a diagnostic program. Many companies do. That will tell you the status of the disk.

There could be a bad spot on the disk or damage, such as a head crash (which does not mean instant death).

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Ok i have a dell computer so would that mean its a dell harddrivee??
probally not?? not sure

Will it come up if i run dxdiag?

Thanks for all your help

SpuD

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Dell does not make disks. I am not familiar with dxdiag, but it might work. Depending on how the system is setup, it can tell you who makes the disks at start up (bios). Otherwise you can look in the hardware devices.