Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I get a Graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

Faust3x

Faust3x

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a refurbished tower from a guy that is a Dell Optiplex GX100?

It runs really slow, should I invest in a Graphics Card to speed it up, or Should I get more Ram for it?

It's Intel Celeron Processor with 595 MHz, 195 MB RAM. Also it's Windows XP!

It runs slow and it's a comp for my sister to use, so I am wondering if there is something easier to buy then a new tower as we can't afford that right now.

Thx!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I'm sorry, but that computer's processor is way too small, the memory is not nearly enough, and the computer is too old to do much of anything with. I installed XP on a Athlon 1.2 gig system years ago and ended up taking it back off because it was so slow. XP likes processors larger than 2 gig's, at least 350MB of memory, and cards better than the GeForce 4-440 series Nvidia or equal for graphics.

If you must just run it like it is and try adding at least 512 MB of memory( 1 gig of memory is even better). You may not even have a AGP slot in that computer to improve the graphics on it, plus if the computer does have a AGP slot you will need to find a card that is 2X-4X as i doubt that a 8X card will work in it. The only other choice then would be a 5200 series PCI video card. Do not try playing newer games with this setup. You will be disappointed as it will not be very good.

So, add some memory and run it like it is. Any more money spent on it would be better just saved up for a much newer computer.

SRX660

Faust3x

Faust3x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm sorry, but that computer's processor is way too small, the memory is not nearly enough, and the computer is too old to do much of anything with. I installed XP on a Athlon 1.2 gig system years ago and ended up taking it back off because it was so slow. XP likes processors larger than 2 gig's, at least 350MB of memory, and cards better than the GeForce 4-440 series Nvidia or equal for graphics.

If you must just run it like it is and try adding at least 512 MB of memory( 1 gig of memory is even better). You may not even have a AGP slot in that computer to improve the graphics on it, plus if the computer does have a AGP slot you will need to find a card that is 2X-4X as i doubt that a 8X card will work in it. The only other choice then would be a 5200 series PCI video card. Do not try playing newer games with this setup. You will be disappointed as it will not be very good.

So, add some memory and run it like it is. Any more money spent on it would be better just saved up for a much newer computer.

SRX660

By adding that much, will the internet and computer move faster? And 3D chat games like IMVU?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would think upgrading to 512MB of RAM would help you to see a difference, although it wouldn't be a great deal. I don't think it would make a difference going between 512MB and 1GB with that processor :)

I agree with SRX660, don't waste too much money on this system!