Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

secondary internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply

silverfalcon

silverfalcon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
First off thank you for your speedy response.

I have an internal HD which has been used as my data storage. I am running windows XP professional. I have never had a problem with this drive in the past. During my last reformat of the OS I starting to experience spontaious reboots. This only occurs with teh drive connected. I can still read the contents of the drive but it reboots. Any ideas as to what could be doing this. If so than is there a way to correct the problem without damaging the contents of the drive? Am i going to have to remove the contents slowly until i empty it and just format it?

Any information would be great since I have become alittle lost at this time

Thank you

Silverfalcon

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Apologies for your wait.

Firstly, while this could be a hard drive issue, it could also be a power supply issue instead.

If you have access to another computer, your best bet may be to test the drive on that computer. This should confirm whether the drive itself is the problem but if it's not, it will also give you the chance to backup the data thats on it.
NB. if you do manage to talk someone into letting you use their pc, I strongly recommend that you first ensure their antivirus & anti malware software is up to date, and then once your drive is connected, run a full scan over it.

If the drive behaves itself on a different computer, then you may want to look at your PSU being the potential culprit.

If you don't have access to another pc, then you could try booting in safe mode to see if that helps. This may prove successful if the reboots are being caused by software but it could also indicate an underrated PSU.

If you don't already know how to boot into safe mode, then the easiest way is to boot normally, go to start -> run -> and type msconfig click ok.
Click on the boot.ini tab then select the SAFE BOOT option (minimal). Click OK & reboot the system to start in safe mode. Be aware that the system will continue to boot in safe mode every time until you clear the SAFE BOOT checkbox in msconfig.

Edited by Samm, 04 December 2007 - 05:33 PM.