Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i disable agent.exe from starting up.

• Please log in to reply

Stusa

Stusa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
[quote name='hhhkingofkingswwe1' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:15 PM' post='1106069']
I have figured out how to stop my agent.exe from running. I will post here what i did so if anyone else has the same problem as me you can fix it.

Go to start>run>and type in msconfig and click ok.
Now click startup and uncheck these items.

ISUSPM
issch

Then click apply, then ok and restart your computer.That is what i did to fix mine.
[Thanks Jimmy 2012 this worked great for me]

Advertisements

sean-no

sean-no

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you're getting the "updates.installshield.com" popup, I was able to find that the "updateshield" folder on my PC. It was put their during my Blackberry Desktop Manager update that includes Roxio. It was Roxio media manager looking for updates. You can go into the updateshield folder, click on the UPSCH.exe file and modify when the update popup will come up.

blingerson

blingerson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
FYI, I had 10 instances of this agent.exe process running and it was killing my internet connection and disallowing me from restarting my computer. It was also interfering with my bitdefender agent on shutdown.

I did some digging and it is installed with a ROXIO media snyc program that comes with the install disc for my blackberry.

There is a buffer overrun exploit for some versions of this file which could allow some nasty things to happen to your computer.

Exploit Description from Blackberry

I uninstalled blackberry desktop manager w/ media sync and re-installed the 4.7 version without the media sync. My startup time for my computer dramatically increased. I have had more problems with Roxio software then any other software save for AOL back in the late 90's.

Edited by blingerson, 25 May 2009 - 10:36 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There is no reason whatsoever for InstallShield UpdateService to be running as a startup.

Deadly Whatever

Deadly Whatever

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've been using CodeStuff Starter for several years to manage my system startups. DL Link

ogo

ogo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thank-you so much for the tips above. I went to other places first, but I wasn't sure whether they were scam, sites claiming to help with "free registry cleaner" or real sites. Is a problem for nontechie. Will watch a couple days to see if problem is cleared, but when i tried to stop the agent.exe with taskmanager, it just jumped elsewhere on the list... and is part of installer update, but it would be very nice is software companies would respect people to make their own update schedules tathter the constant interference of very obnoxious automatic updates--Adobe has to be one of the worst.Have no idea what kicked it off, but ti was eating 92 percent CPU.

chorn3

chorn3

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you, Jimmy 2012.  I have been trying to fix this problem for months.  Just say your solution in msconfig--and it worked!!  Thank you, thank you.

chorn3

chorn3

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you Jimmy 2012 for your solution to this problem.  I have been trying to solve this for months.  Your suggestion regarding the startup tab in msconfig worked--thanks again!!  Wish I had found this site sooner.