Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Unpartitioning Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

mello_melon

mello_melon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a dell inspiron e1505 with a 100 gb NTFS hard drive. my c drive is saying that it's 65.1 gb and my d drive is 21.8 gb. that's only 86.9 gb. where's the rest of my hard drive. i asked someone and they said that dell hides part of hard drive and that i need to unpartition it. does anyone know how to do that without buying software?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the portion that dell "hides" is for system recovery....you don't want to get rid of that just in case you need to return the PC back to factory defaults (like if you ever sell the thing)...also a TRUE GB is 1024 MB...which is how windows sees a GB.....HOWEVER...computer manufacturers USUALLY list a GB as 1000MB instead of the true 1024 so when someone says you've got a 100GB drive they really mean y ou've got a 1000MB drive and windows will show it as such (instead of listing it as a 100GB drive)

mello_melon

mello_melon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
oh, ok. thanks.