Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about uploading an MP3 in 128K or 192K

• Please log in to reply

MattCharles

MattCharles

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
What is the difference when you upload an MP3 in 128K or 192K format. I have songs on my CD's that I want to make louder so I can hear them better on my MP3 Player and I am editing them with a program I have. What is the difference if I save them in 128K or 192K? Is there any at all?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi,

The 'K' means Kilo-Bytes, indicating the bitrate of the audio file. That means that with lower bitrates, compression would be greater, and sound quality worse. With higher bitrates, compression would be less, and sound quality better - yet it will take up more space.

That doesn't have anything to do with the loudness of the files, though.

Bitrates ranging from 128-192 are the 'normal' and commonly used bitrates today, so your choice was right :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If you want to compress songs without spoiling the quality, choose 64kbps, 96kbps, or 128kbps.

I use 196kbps, by the way. Songs are at an average 8-10MB at this bitrate. Though, I think songs at 64kbps are around 2-3MB only. Your choice.

~Kelvin

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

If you want to compress songs without spoiling the quality, choose 64kbps, 96kbps, or 128kbps.

I use 196kbps, by the way. Songs are at an average 8-10MB at this bitrate. Though, I think songs at 64kbps are around 2-3MB only. Your choice.

~Kelvin

You're wrong, there. Compressing means loss of quality. It doesn't matter how you compress it; the quality is lost, unless you use a Loseless format.

64kbps bitrate is quite low and will provide a very unpleasant sound, I recommend you stick to 128-196.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

~Kelvin

You're wrong, there. Compressing means loss of quality. It doesn't matter how you compress it; the quality is lost, unless you use a Loseless format.

64kbps bitrate is quite low and will provide a very unpleasant sound, I recommend you stick to 128-196.

Doesn't lose SO much. I helped my friend compress a few songs on his CD to fit his MP3 player (a Walkman) and well, it played real smoothly, though a bit of flaw in the bass was found. I've tried it before, if not I wouldn't recommend doing so.

~Kelvin

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
So basically if I use 192K that is better than 128K and if I make an MP3 sound loader than it was originally on the CD it wouldn't matter if I saved it on 128K or 192K?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If you're looking for high-quality songs then go for 192kbps.

If you're looking for average-quality songs and average size then go for 128kbps.

If you want to compress lots of songs and cram them in your MP3, then go for 64kbps.

Another option is also available - 96kbps. In the middle of 128 and 64, if you want it there.

~Kelvin

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Well since most of my songs are in 128K I guess I should just stick with that. Thanks a lot. :)