Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start-- fan won't slow down

• Please log in to reply

thaliagoo

thaliagoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My fan will not slow down and my computer cannot boot. I tried to change the processor and heatsink fan but the same problem remains so I think its a MOBO problem. I tried the cardboard test but it didn't work. Also, I cannot turn off the computer (stop the fan from spinning) unless I unplug the power source.

Motherboard: Intel MOBO DQ965GF
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
GeForece 7300GT video card
500W power supply
Maxtor 300 GB SATA
1 GB RAM

Edited by thaliagoo, 03 December 2007 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi and welcome to G2G!!

What "cardboard" method are you referring to? Also if the fan is on it might not be a mobo problem because if the mobo were dead no fans would come on. What else happens does our computer function? Does anything else happen?

Soorena

thaliagoo

thaliagoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply Soorena. Nothing else happens that I am aware of. I start the computer and the fan runs at full speed. It never slows down and my monitor screen is black-- no sign of life. I used a new heatsink and and tried another processor but there same problem remains. I know my memory is fine because I took that memory from my other computer. I guess I should specify that I used 2 512 MB DDR2 667 CL5. I read online that the problem is either the motherboard, processor, memory, or power supply. Since I checked off all the others, I can only come up with MOBO.

The cardboard test I'm referring to is that I put my motherboard on top of a cardboard box and I install the CPU, heatsink fan, memory, and video card and try to get the computer to start. I still get full fan speed and no BIOS screen. I already plugged in the 4x4 connector so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Edited by thaliagoo, 03 December 2007 - 08:45 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Board's probably dead. Common symptoms of this in an Intel board is that the fan keeps going, normally throttled. If the board is under warranty, send it back.
The cardboard test is a good way of ensuring the board doesn't short out on the machine's metallic back panel. Many boards die this way through missing stand-offs.