Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

color bars on screen

• Please log in to reply

thatoneguy121

thatoneguy121

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On my computer screen i have a greenish bar and a purple-like bar. I can see through both of them but they are a bother because not everything is very visible through these bars. It's especially difficult to tolerate when i'm playing games on my computer. Also they are really distracting. Can anyone help, or at least tell me what's wrong?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you see the color bars when you boot to Safe Mode? It sounds like the display itself is going bad to me.

thatoneguy121

thatoneguy121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i do but my computer is only like a 1.5 years old. i wouldn't think the display would start going bad now.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A display can be bad new from the box, go bad in a day, a week a year or last 15 years, there is no way to predict this.

Can you try the display on another computer (friend, family)? If it has the same bars there then it's bad. If not then I would try deleting the video entry from Device Manager then reboot. Let XP rediscover the video card and reload the drivers. If that doesn't help go to the computer manufacturers web site and see if there is an update available for video. If not try the video manufacturers web site.

Might also try re-routing the cable connecting the display to the computer, perhaps it's near a power source of some kind that is causing the interference.