Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Satellite TV to PC

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi Guys.

I love watching films, and came across a web site that purportedly allowed you to watch thousands of TV channels and download films for free, for a small one-off fee. So my first task was to work out how to connect my old Sony laptop to my TV, because in my view there's no point in watching a good film on a small laptop screen. I finally managed to do this after 3-4 weeks of trial and error, I got a cable from my S-Video to a converter, then from the converter to SCART.

So, now I could purchase the software. It cost me £29, and came in 4 separate modules. I'm quite disappointed. Not as many channels as they advertised, and some in Chinese. The audio is fine but the picture freezes intermittently, which I believe is due to their under powered servers.

The modules which allows you to download and music or film etc: you have to search for the film you want. It comes up with dozens of copies of the film (e.g. Saw 4), and you have to pick the one you want to download. I picked one in English. It took about 14 hours, and then I discovered that it was in Spanish, and it wasn't Saw 4. Tried another one, and this was also in Spanish, and a completely different film. Also, the films freeze intermittently.

I emailed them and told them I wanted my money back. No reply. I emailed clickbank and told them I wanted a full refund. The money arrived in my account 2 days later. AND all the software that I purchased still functions, so in essence it was free.

My question is this: does anyone know of any decent satellite TV to PC software that actually works? or am I wasting my time? I only have a 2 MB connection.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this isn't meant to be because when I was on my way back from the computer shop with my £12 cable and connector for the laptop, someone went into the back of my car at about 50 mph, and I was stationary; my car is written off. However, today I was offered £1000 personal injury compensation.... but that's another story......

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
First off, glad no one got hurt in that accident.

As for your question: Several points. I think I know what software you refer to. Well, you actually spent your money. First off, the 'program' itself is a bundle of Chinese P2P Viewing software available for free. What does that mean? Someone uploads a channel, and people 'upload' data from the channel to each other. That explains the video freezing. There aren't servers there.

Now - I am unsure on the legal aspect of this, as GeeksToGo doesn't support P2P software or any kind of similar software. This is not to say you're to blame, people do get misleaded and think this is an actual satellite TV.

There is no software that would allow you to watch Satellite TV on your PC, using legal methods and high quality. There might exist something like this, but I am not aware of it. The connection doesn't have anything to do with it, a 2MB connection should be sufficient...

I am sorry to tell you that you are a victim of a shady software company... Unfortunately, there isn't much to do.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Landlord may have jumped the gun a little with his reply.

While it does appear that you were the victim of a scam, at least it appears that you didn't lose any money from it. Thats the good news.

Now, as far as your question, I am actually unsure what you are looking for.

Many channels now offer their programming online from their websites for free. There are also programs that you can get to turn your computer into a "DVR" to record satellite TV.

However, legally, you can only get programming from the owner of that programming. Legal means is the only thing that you will get help with here.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Thanks guys, I suspected I might get a response along those lines. Whilst music downloading appears to be rife, video and TV downloading clearly is not. What I actually want is to be able to download and watch films. It appears that this doesn't exist legally. So I shall take my cable and file it in cupboard somewhere.

MrBlue

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
You could try Blockbuster's legal movie downloading service, I am unsure if it's available in the UK, though.