Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! with builing my PC

• Please log in to reply

wixostrix

wixostrix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I am going to buy parts and build my own computer. I wanted to know if the parts I buy will be good. So, it would be GRAND if people can tell me if I am buying good parts and am not getting ripped off.
All these are from Fry's Electronics OutPost:

-MSI PT880 Neo-FSR Socket 478 Mainboard - 69.99
-Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1MB 800 FSB Socket 472 Boxed Processor - 194.99
-Kingston 512MB PC 3200 400MHz 64x64 DDR 184 Pin
-Kaser 128MB 8x AGP Video Card w/ATI RADEON 9200 SE 3D Chip - 64.99
-Western Digital 80GB WD800JB Ultra 100 7200RPM 8MB Buffer HD - 79.99

If anybody had any better ideas of parts I would like to hear, but I'm trying to keep them in the price ranges above. My main use for it will be playing The Sims 2.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Everything looks good, but the only thing that I would recommend switching would be the video card. The RAM size of the video card is fine, just get a better chipset. I would get a Radeon 9700 or above, dont get any of the SE chipsets for they a dumdown version of the chip. Sitick with the Pro, or XT cards. By doing so you will have a much in joyable experince. Here is a link to a card that I recommend getting:

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800PRO

Hope that this helps.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
for your RAM see if you can get it in dual channel 2 sticks of 256 because this is cheaper and better...............make sure your motherboard supports it

Matt

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I have that same mobo, its very good. the manual is thorough, to help hook it all up correctly!
watch out on the processor, you typed it as a 472 pin. you need to make sure you get a socket 478 CPU, so it will fit on the board. the boxed processor is a good way to go, since it includes the heatsink/fan.
for the RAM, definitely get two matched sticks. matched = same size, same manufacturer. this will allow that mobo to run in dual channel mode, taking full advantage of the 800 FSB. most RAM is available this way, for example, buying 1 gig of ram will actually be getting 2 512meg sticks.

that mobo has SATA, which is 50% faster than standard UDMA hard drives. highly recommend that, and its not any more expensive.

i bought most of my components at fry's (an actual store) a month ago, so I know you can put a good system together from them (or the online outpost). have fun!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
For buying computer parts- try looking at these sites for the lowest prices

Newegg - used for all types of parts

Tigerdirect - good for all parts (memory especially)

3btech - good for processers

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
emm...those prices seem a bit steep for my liking, but im thinking maybe its dollars, we get 80 gig HD's for £40, which if im right in thinking is roughly $60