Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD after HD format

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

Have recently few problems with the PC which were related to graphic card. Eventually, change the graphic card and formatted hard drive afterwards and uploaded all the new drivers.

However, now I have few issues:
- When I format the HD and uploaded all updates, than I had “Windows Indexing Service” running, and as my pc was running slower than before I have shut it down as I have found instructions on few posts on this forum – in any case, it seems that this didn’t do the trick, as pc is still somehow slow…
- BSOD – from time to time (on irregular basis) I have BSOD (I have unchecked “automatic restart”) with the message “machine_check_exception” and when reboot the pc sometimes xp starts without problem, but in few occasions runs chkdsk automatically… and while running, under “verifying indexes” stage (stage 2 of 3) says something as “correcting errors in index $0 for file 25”, similar for “… index $I30 for file 15941”, and than “deleting an error …” for mentioned files…
- I have avg and spybot on my pc… every time I start scan for each of them pc reboots itself (although I have unchecked “automatic restart”
- BSOD – sometimes the message is related to dump memory (unfortunately, I haven’t written it down…)

Well, I am not sure what is the problem exactly – probably just to tweak something, but not sure what… to repeat, pc has been formatted few days ago, and only what I have add are xp updates, drivers, avg, spybot, zonaalarm and programs that I used previously – so nothing special, no any games or similar – only what was new for me was this windows indexing service… just to add something else… when I have formatted pc, it was running very fast and than after updates keeps going slow (as something is running in behind)…

Please would you advice me what to do to sort out this problems…

I have attached also some errors from the event viewer.

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Den

Attached Files

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your attached text file refers to a problem with Symantec LiveUpdate, which is a component of Norton Internet Security or the two 'standalone' versions of Norton Antivirus or Norton Firewall. Uninstalling all Norton products would most likely solve that error whilst at the same time solving some of the issues with your PC running slow (Norton products are notorious for causing this).

The 'BSOD' error is more difficult to pinpoint, as 'machine_check_exception' is usually accompanied by a fault-code such as, for example: '0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x805535f0, 0xb2000000, 0x1040080f', the first string in this example denotes a hardware problem, and often 'googling' your specific error-string will glean some helpful information in tracking down it's cause. Indeed, it may even be related to your Norton LiveUpdate error, but only by removing Norton products will you know for sure.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can't have 2 AV programs or firewalls running at the same time...they will fight...
I'm with pip22...get rid of norton completely...go here for the uninstaller for norton....if after completly removing norton you still have nprotect in the recycler folder let me know and I'll post the instructions to make it go away...

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Pip22 and thank you for your reply,

Yes, you are absolutely right – I have now new broadband provider (BT broadband; although for years I had AOL…) and with all the silly gadgets (as a part of the pack) was Norton security – actually it was antivirus and antispyware and firewall (well it seems everything they can put into it…) - after the HD format, first thing i have istalled was broadband so i can go online and pick up xp updates and avg, ZA, spybot - but Norton starts to install with the broadband (or i have missed something),… however, and I have removed it (thought so!) completely via add/remove programs (it was working like one hour online to remove it…); right now I don’t have anything related in Norton in Program files as for the program as such, although there is the folder “Symantec”, in it “Live Update” folder with the “LUALL” file (which is size 0) – I’ll try to remove this.

Can this be cause for the problems with the scanning the pc with avg and spybot?

Regarding BSOD – I’ll try to update on the situation – just removed the “Symantec” – and will try to scan pc – we’ll see how it goes…

Thank you Pip22 – keep you posted…

Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi HappyRCK,

I agree – I don’t have two AV – I have used uninstaller (for removing Norton I was online…); when I have removed the Norton than I have downloaded avg and installed it; also, for the firewall I have ZA and spybot for spyware (teatime is active)… this is basically what I have on pc before the formatting for a years and always without any serious problems…

Well, I have removed the remaining folder (previous post) and will try to scan pc now… fingers x.

Thank you guys for the help and advice… hopefully be back soon.

Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi.

I made the right decision - formated the HD, add the latest drivers, xp updates, ZA, avg and ad-aware - and pc is working perfectly OK!

Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
i was trying to add "resolve" to this topic - but it seems i cannot find the way to to that - sorry.

regards,

den

SIvenp

SIvenp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Your attached text file refers to a problem with Symantec LiveUpdate, which is a component of Norton Internet Security or the two 'standalone' versions of Norton Antivirus or Norton Firewall. Uninstalling all Norton products would most likely solve that error whilst at the same time solving some of the issues with your PC running slow (Norton products are notorious for causing this).

The 'BSOD' error is more difficult to pinpoint, as 'machine_check_exception' is usually accompanied by a fault-code such as, for example: '0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x805535f0, 0xb2000000, 0x1040080f', the first string in this example denotes a hardware problem, and often 'googling' your specific error-string will glean some helpful information in tracking down it's cause. Indeed, it may even be related to your Norton LiveUpdate error, but only by removing Norton products will you know for sure.

Hi
Any idea what the error code above means?
I'm getting the same one ~ :-(
This page was one of 3 that came up whe nI googled it.

thanx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: slvenp

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is over 3 years old it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.