Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Active Partition

• Please log in to reply

El E Ot

El E Ot

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This weekend my PC started giving me fits; when I turned it on it would count the right amount of RAM, and it would list all of my drives, but it would then tell me that there was "No Active Partition" and ask for a systems disk.
So I started it with the Vista DVD and went to the repair option; it claims that nothing is wrong but it still won't boot thru to Vista (unless I have the Vista disc in the DVD drive), it just brings me back to the screen about "No Active Partition". If I have the Vista disc in the drive it boots thru and allows me to login, but this is where I get another twist - in "My Computer" where it lists drives one of my drives is missing. My PC has two internal hard drives (drive 0 is C:, drive 1 is supposed to be D:, E:, F:), the problem is that D: is missing. If I go into "Disk Management" it shows that drive 1 is divided into 3 drives, but the first one doesn't have a drive letter nor can I give it one. The other two are part of the Extended Partition; are shown to be there and work fine.

So I have two questions?
1. How do I fix what it says isn't broken?
2. How do I get my D: drive back?

I saw in one of the other posts a mention of a program from Acronis, could it help or do you have a less expensive way? :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Drag all your stuff from the second disk over to the C: drive so you don't lose them. Now use Disk Management to delete all three partitions on the second disk. Create one single, primary partition on the second disk and format it to accept data. Now copy your stuff back on to it from the C: drive.

Having just two partitions on your system in total (C: and D:) will be much less troublesome than what you had before.
There really is no need to divide a disk into three -- two at most -- but one is better and much easier to keep track of.
Also, if you really must have two or more on the second disk, you don't have to create an extended partition with logical partitions inside it. You can have up to four primaries on the same disk.

El E Ot

El E Ot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Turns out D: had become hidden, so unhiding it fixed that. The idea of moving everything off of my slave drive to the master wouldn't have worked as the slave is twice as big overall and is at 2/3 capacity.

Thanks anyway. Any idea about the first problem?