Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with booting

• Please log in to reply

Chris V.

Chris V.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello.

I recently bought virtually an entirely new PC (nVidia 8600GT, some MSI motherboard I can't remember the model of, an EZcool PSU and 2GB of Corsair memory) but the problem is I can't seem to get it to boot. Everything powers up as it should when it's switched on, but nothing appears on the screen. I've looked over the internet as much as I could, lots of things saying it's because of a dead CPU, some say it's a bad graphics card, some say a dead PSU, and so on. I've tested the PSU and it's fine, the CPU I have used with a different motherboard (one which we previously believed was broken, but my guess now is that it's not) and the exact same things happen. I get the same thing happening no matter what I try, I've tried taking out both the memory and CPU and the screen still doesn't show. I can't test the graphics card because I don't own another PCI-E or PCI graphics card, and there is no onboard graphics from what I can tell. So the only culprits left that seem likely are the CPU or graphics card. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem, or is one of the components faulty?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nothing appearing on screen is usually a sign of a dead board.
But run through the obvious: You've plugged the yellow 4-pin 12v connector in? Reset button not stuck? Speaker plugged in?
Boards without onboard graphics usually beep with lack of presence for a graphics card.
If you bought these bits online, phone up the number of the company, get an RMA number and send it back for replacement or refund under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 which entitles you to refund up to eight working days after you receive them.

Chris V.

Chris V.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The motherboard is brand new, plus I've already tested two different motherboards, both with the exact same results. I guess the possibility is there that they're both bad, I can't see myself being that unlucky but I can't really rule that out either. Everything is connected that should be, all power into correct slots on board and such. As for the post beeps, this particular board doesn't seem to have an onboard speaker. There is some wires coming from the case labelled L-OUT and R-OUT and some others, that would lead me to believe they are a speaker of some sort, but when I try wiring them up where I think they're supposed to go (according to the motherboard instruction manual) everything stays the same. Not sure whether I've wired them wrong, or they're not a sound device at all. I still have a nasty feeling the graphics card could be at fault though.

I'm starting to believe it's the CPU that's faulty. The entire system is brand new, but the CPU was given to me by a friend. The old motherboard and CPU were once in a case with a PSU that blew up, I'm thinking that maybe had a knock on effect on the CPU here. Does it sound likely that the reason I'm not getting anything displayed on screen or any POST bleeps is because of a faulty CPU?

I tried removing the CPU from my fully functional PC that I'm using now, and the same thing happens as with the new PC. So going out on a limb I would say the CPU is a goner and I'll be buying a new one soon. Just incase, could anyone please give me some reassurance that my logic is right here?

Edited by Chris V., 05 December 2007 - 07:18 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two dead boards are unlikely but possible.
Dropping a working CPU into a board with no memory and getting no response (assuming the speaker is connected) means the board is dead after you've done the obvious like resetting the CMOS, replacing the battery and a new power supply.
However dropping your new processor into your working board and no response means the CPU is fried. If it cost you nothing its no loss anyway. :)

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 December 2007 - 04:40 PM.

Chris V.

Chris V.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortunately I can't put my current working processor in the new board because it's a skt 478, the board is 775. The only reason I tried to take the processor out from my working computer is because I wanted to see what happened when it has no processor in it. Since the results are the same as with the new PC, I decided to take a shot in the dark and buy a new processor. It comes sometime today, so if it works I'll post here to let anyone know. If it doesn't I'll probably post anyway after I'm done throwing it all out of the window and screaming about how much I hate computers.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is very possible that the cpu is dead. Just before you give up: I have seen cases in which a computer behaved dead and the reason for this was bad contact between the cpu pins and the socket. It was sitting perfectly in place but didn't work until I pulled the cpu out, reinstalled it and locked it in place. I did this 2-3 times so that any dirt or corrosion will be rubbed off. And it worked.

Regarding the new graphic card: Could you find another computer on which you could test the card?

Chris V.

Chris V.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
All fixed now, dead CPU was right on the money. Bought a new 2Ghz processor, booted and POSTed fine. Only problem was it was running in excess of 70 degrees, so had to run down the store and buy some thermal paste. Still think it could run cooler, but I've been told 35 degrees is a decent temperature, and that's what it runs at now. Everything seems stable anyway. Thanks everyone for your help.