Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just one link stopped working?!

• Please log in to reply

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, well if you don't want to backup your registry, that's your choice. Just make sure that you copy my command completely and double-check it before running it. I've tested it on my machine and it's still alive, so it should be fine to run on yours.

No you won't be done just yet, you will still need to merge the REG files into the registry. You'll just need to right-click each one and choose Merge.

Advertisements

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK, Ax, I did it all.
I didn't say anything about not wanting to backup-I did it. I also did the command thing and the Merge thing with the link repair, IE desktop icon fix and the regfile downloads (all 3).
But it didn't change anything as far as opening up the desktop icons is concerned.
Sorry. I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I did do the backup so should I go back to it?
Got any other tricks?
Sorry for the hassle.

Thanx, Ed!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Ed,

Good, I'm glad you backed it up. If all the merges were successful, you shouldn't need to restore the registry from backup. I'm not sure you ever really told me when I asked, but which icons are you having trouble with? What should they normally open with? Do you know the type of file they are supposed to open? Is it just internet shortcuts or are they shortcuts to programs as well?

Regards,

Ax

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello again, AX!
I'm sorry this is so complicated.
All of my internet shortcuts have this problem (desktop icons) like Gmail, Ebay, Questrade, The Weather Network, various websites I put on desktop to look into later. PDF files (adobe) DON'T have this problem. Strangely enough, Yahoo mail doesn't have this problem.
The very first time I try to open an icon (since this problem started) a window opens up saying it doesn't know which program was used to open this file, and I get to choose 'browse the web' which doesn't do anything but close that window, or 'choose from a list', which opens up a menu of many programs, and I have to click IE (internet explorer), and then it will open up that icon to the corresponding webpage.
I'd like to remind you, that chronologically speaking, this coincides with when I installed Firefox, going back to the Canadian Tire problem, then uninstalling firefox because it didn't have 'autofill'. Since then, most of my desktop icons have this inconvenient extra step or two.

I just tried some more icons. Yahoo mail opens up like before, but 3 yahoo financial sites have the described issue.
Google mail and Search have the issue but Google Earth opens up normally.
Picassa and Adobe photoshop, and Kaspersky (System Mechanic) also open up without this issue.

Thanx again Ax, Ed!

Edited by Edward52, 13 December 2007 - 12:04 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Thanks for the great extra information Ed,

No it's not too complicated of an issue, it's just one that isn't exactly overt. From what you are telling me, it is just Internet shortcuts that aren't working, Desktop shortcuts to applications on your computer are fine. From the same File Association Fixes list as before, download and merge the URL File Association Fix to your registry, as per the previous instructions.

Let me know how it goes,

Ax