Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access the Internet

• Please log in to reply

horsesurfer

horsesurfer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there!
I used an ethernet switch to connect about four computers to the internet in my office. At first I got the message from the LAN icon displayed at the bottom right corner of the screen of one of the computers that says 'Limited or no connectivity' I then clicked on properties on the Local Area Connection icon, clicked TCP/IP and manually set an IP address, leaving the default gateway blank. I used an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 After doing this the icon now displayed a message 'Local Area Network is now connected'
I tried to open a web page, google for example, but it failed to open. The cable is ok. Pls help, what shall I do next?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.....what is the switch connected to besides teh computers? a router? a modem? what?

just setting a static IP address arbitrarily won't get you anywhere...and you have to have a default gateway to get out to the internet...the default gateway would be the internal IP of either the router or modem that you're connecting through

horsesurfer

horsesurfer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The switch is portable....it's only about 2x7 inches wide. It's connected to the power supply besides the computers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
......ok....and where do you expect the internet to come from? ....you have to plug SOMETHING into a device that has a connection to the internet...like a modem.....