Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Favicons

• Please log in to reply

ilovegames

ilovegames

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I created a favicon for my site. How do you install the code for it to show?
I'm using SMF 1.1.4 on my site. Tigertech is my server.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
All you should have to do is upload the favicon.ico file to the root directory of your forums.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
When you say favicon, that is an image used like the red 'g' you see in your browser window for GeekstoGo. The method getting it there is easy, but are you referring to putting an avatar in forums? If so, you need to go to the section like "My Controls" for this forum and look for the "Edit Avatar Settings". Other forums have similar sections where you add your avatar. They are limited in file and pixal sizes.

Post back if you need the code for installing a favicon instead of an avatar.

Ron

ilovegames

ilovegames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No like the "g" in your address bar.

ilovegames

ilovegames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can I get a step by step if possible up load?
Where is the root directory? I know I have to upload to my fpt.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It really depends on your hosting company. For example, I have a virtual server that is hosted for me, I have full shell access to the server. I can ftp or scp the favicon.ico file to the root directory.

Briefly looking over TigerTech's website, it looks like you should have ftp access to your server. Use an ftp program like filezilla and just upload your favicon.ico to the directory that contains your forum.

And what I mean by root directory is like you having a folder on your desktop that has your website in it named "website". Inside the folder website, you have an index.html file that contains the html and another folder named "images" that has your jpegs and gifs. In this case, you would place the favicon.ico file in the website directory along with index.html.

I hope that makes sense.

ilovegames

ilovegames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, thanks. Now my problem is I can only save it as a zip file. How do I save it
as a ico file?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
You have to use some sort of program to make the ico file. I can't help you out with that, I hate graphics :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Use FavIcon from Pics or FavIcon Generator. These are free online tools to make your favicon. Provides instructions and the link code for your pages. IE has a little quirk about favicons: How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 08 December 2007 - 06:15 PM.